Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 180.51 Display Driver Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Hmm the 9600 gso 512mb support must be in name only. I've had one in my secondary desktop for about a month now and it's been working fine with an older driver.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by snogglethorpe View Post
      Frankly, it doesn't matter how often nvidia releases a new driver -- their stuff is closed, and thus inherently limited by the amount of manpower they can personally throw at it, and their marketing department, and ...
      Open sourcing doesn't guarantee manpower. It presents opportunities for additional manpower but it doesn't mean it will happen. Similarly a just because a project is closed doesn't automatically mean that there isn't enough manpower to produce a quality product.

      Even if Nvidia is suffering from manpower issues as you would have the world believe, they still are releasing a higher quality product.

      And if ATI's closed drivers are so manpower starved (because they're closed) and all the real progress is by the open community then there's no point in supporting their market share since it won't impact the quality of drivers available.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        The NVIDIA 185.19 Beta is still the latest in the 185.xx series, but NVIDIA has provided a pre-release of the 180.51 driver.
        Thank you for taking the time to make the Beta/Pre-Release distinction.

        Originally posted by Jimmy
        Open sourcing doesn't guarantee manpower. It presents opportunities for additional manpower but it doesn't mean it will happen.
        That is one way to spin it, another way is that it just means that anyone can fix the problems when developers screw up.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          That is one way to spin it, another way is that it just means that anyone can fix the problems when developers screw up.
          That's not true -- especially for non-trivial stuff like GPU programming. There are very few developers intimate with that. Of course, you always have the possibility that someone will pick it up, but often enough that doesn't mean anything.

          And while NVidia's drivers are closed-source, they have a very open development model and communication and feedback with/from the developers are great. Some parts of the driver, like nvidia-settings and VDPAU are even open source.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by greg View Post
            That's not true -- especially for non-trivial stuff like GPU programming. There are very few developers intimate with that. Of course, you always have the possibility that someone will pick it up, but often enough that doesn't mean anything.
            Since when has familiarity with codebases stopped anyone in the community from "fixing" anything?

            And while NVidia's drivers are closed-source, they have a very open development model and communication and feedback with/from the developers are great. Some parts of the driver, like nvidia-settings and VDPAU are even open source.
            What does that have to do with the price of tea in Russia? If you'd bothered responding to what was said and not what you think was said you'd realize that I was not talking about nvidia's drivers or any problems with them, and you'd look less pedantic.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Since when has familiarity with codebases stopped anyone in the community from "fixing" anything?
              Just look at how many non-paid contributors are working on the radeon or intel drivers. There are lots of problems with these drivers, the manpower to fix these simply isn't there, and almost nobody is stepping up to do it.

              What does that have to do with the price of tea in Russia? If you'd bothered responding to what was said and not what you think was said you'd realize that I was not talking about nvidia's drivers or any problems with them, and you'd look less pedantic.
              My point is that NVidia isn't "evil" like many make them out to be.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by greg View Post
                Just look at how many non-paid contributors are working on the radeon or intel drivers. There are lots of problems with these drivers, the manpower to fix these simply isn't there, and almost nobody is stepping up to do it.
                Ignoring the fact that AMD pays people to work on the open source drivers.. look here, and here. That's over a dozen commits in the last 24 hours. I think that counts as stepping up.

                Originally posted by greg View Post
                My point is that NVidia isn't "evil" like many make them out to be.
                There's quite some evidence that says otherwise.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by krazy View Post
                  Ignoring the fact that AMD pays people to work on the open source drivers.. look here, and here. That's over a dozen commits in the last 24 hours. I think that counts as stepping up.
                  Yet my brand spanking new ATI card with either the ATI drivers or the FOSS drivers doesn't perform as well (in Linux) as my older tech NVidia card.

                  So, seriously, I hope NVidia keeps doing what they're doing. Maybe one day ATI will catch up, but for now, it doesn't seem likely.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by krazy View Post
                    There's quite some evidence that says otherwise.
                    That's not evidence, that's speculation and still does not justify calling them "evil".
                    Seriously, don't use wikipedia for "evidence".

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      That's not evidence, that's speculation and still does not justify calling them "evil".
                      Seriously, don't use wikipedia for "evidence".
                      Agreed. When citing sources, people should make sure that the "evidence" presented by those sources are credible and solid.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X