Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Days Pass, Time For New NVIDIA Linux Driver

Phoronix: Four Days Pass, Time For New NVIDIA Linux Driver

NVIDIA pushed out the 185.13 Beta Linux driver just four days ago, but already they have released another new Linux driver. This time around, the NVIDIA 180.37.04 driver was released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm Jealous.

Comment

I'm indifferent. There's all this hype about OpenGL 3.0... and how many applications actually make use of it? Yeah.

Comment

How would applications make use of it if there's no way to use it? So those releases help 3.1's adoption, no?

Or would you write your own driver to write OpenGL 3.1 apps?

Comment

This can't be just coincidence. NVIDIA started to update its linux drivers on week basis - which is a good thing - but this somehow must be, at least I like to think, a showcase of how good their closed source driver support is and never to open their binary blobs.

They are not aiming at ATI closed driver, they are aiming at ATI opensource drivers. Its a showcase of why we don't open our drivers.

I hope the community doesn't give up on the effort to make NVIDIA release their source code.

This is not enough NVIDIA!

Eh, by the way, as a X1600pro (discontinued owner) I'm kind of Jealous too.

Comment

Damn! Nvidia really makes ATi look like shit

Comment

"This is not enough"?

Seriously, sometimes I wonder why NVidia just doesn't tell the OSS crowd a big "screw you guys" and just leave. With comments like this, I would. They provide kick-ass support up to par with Windows, and then people come along with "this is not enough".

Oh man.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                "This is not enough"?

Seriously, sometimes I wonder why NVidia just doesn't tell the OSS crowd a big "screw you guys" and just leave. With comments like this, I would. They provide kick-ass support up to par with Windows, and then people come along with "this is not enough".

Oh man.
                See, you have just proved my point. NVIDIA strategy is paying off.

I appreciate what NVIDIA is doing lately with their closed driver, but why they don't release their specs?

How about helping out the Noveau driver project with _some_ new code?

It won't hurt.

@cruiseoveride Indeed, as far as closed source drivers are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                  See, you have just proved my point. NVIDIA strategy is paying off.

I appreciate what NVIDIA is doing lately with their closed driver, but why they don't release their specs?
                  It's theirs. They don't want to.

How about helping out the Noveau driver project with _some_ new code?

It won't hurt.
                  It costs. Also, they deliver hardware and drivers that are supposed to just work and not to make RMS happy :P

Comment

Reading this news makes me laugh... Switched to nVidia a week ago and never want to look back

Comment

Working...
                    X