Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Pushes Out New Driver With No Change-Log

Phoronix: NVIDIA Pushes Out New Driver With No Change-Log

It was just one week ago that NVIDIA released the 180.37 Linux driver, but already there is a new bleeding-edge release available. Last night a NVIDIA Linux engineer pushed out the 185.13 beta...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzE0NA

lol, NVIDIA doesn't talk and/or do promises. They work.
    +10 to NVIDIA.

Comment

Maybe it's a Friday the 13th joke... what ever state the driver was in at the end of the day... you got it, good luck (or bad luck if you are superstitious).

Comment

what's new is here is
        http://www.forum.free-x.de/wbb/index...=3752#post3752

Comment

typo

a small typo you might want to fix
          , but what this release consists of actually isn't known.
          the n is missing

Comment

Originally posted by Goga777 View Post
            This is an older changelog.

One of the changes is improved compiz perfomance when strict binding is used.

Comment

Didn't work for me.

Got an 7300GS here and it didn't work for me. I couldn't install it. It gave me an error that it couldn't create the nvidia.ko.

So, I assume that my GPU isn't supported. I had to go back to the 180.37.

Comment

SLI in auto mode works once again.

Comment

doesn't seem like fit for a beta release. gnome-bluetooth crashes in gentoo (blocked signal whatever) like in 180.35,37 and apparently quite a few issues from a cursory look at nvnews linux forums.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrawoger View Post
                    Got an 7300GS here and it didn't work for me. I couldn't install it. It gave me an error that it couldn't create the nvidia.ko.

It does support your GPU.
                    But with such an vague description nobody can help you.

Comment

What was the error you getting?

Comment

Well dang it. I kinda gave up quickly. I just figured I'd try it again and record the error, and sure enough it installed fine.

Sorry for being misleading, since the error did state that either I used the wrong gcc version or my GPU wasn't supported. I was certain I had the right gcc version, so that left me with the other. Not sure now why it gave that error, and I am not able to reproduce it either.

Well, thanks for trying to help anyways.

Comment

Sorry for being misleading, since the error did state that either I used the wrong gcc version or my GPU wasn't supported. I was certain I had the right gcc version, so that left me with the other.
                          Here's the literal text of the error message, from the source code:
                          Code:
                                  ui_error(op, "Unable to load the kernel module '%s'.  This "
                                           "happens most frequently when this kernel module was "
                                           "built against the wrong or improperly configured "
                                           "kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs "
                                           "from the one used to build the target kernel, or "
                                           "if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present and "
                                           "prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining "
                                           "ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or "
                                           "NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is not supported "  
                                           "by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.\n\n" 
                                           "Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load "
                                           "error' and 'Kernel messages' at the end of the file "
                                           "'%s' for more information.",
                                           p->kernel_module_filename, op->log_file_name);
                          They're just examples. There are a million possible reasons why a kernel module could fail to load on Linux, very few of which would be NVIDIA's fault.

Comment

Just tried the new notebook driver for my GF GO 7950GTX and it F I N A L L Y works the way it should. I don't think I am going to update ubuntu anytime soon, now that my system finally works the way it should.

Comment

Do what I do and use this repo for it.

https://launchpad.net/~thefirstm/+archive/ppa

Copy both apt lines into your sources and add the key. The key is easy to add. Just click on the key link and click again. Then you copy it to a text file and then add the key. He also has an intrepid PPA for those who don't want to use Jaunty. I'm using it on Jaunty Alpha 6 amd64 and it seems to work great. Install it from this PPA and enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X