Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

    Phoronix: MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

    Last month NVIDIA brought PureVideo features to Linux through a new API they call the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix in their NVIDIA 180.xx driver. NVIDIA also provided a set of patches that enabled MPlayer to use this API that offloads video decoding and other tasks to the GPU. The formats supported by VDPAU are currently H.264, MPEG, WMV3, and VC-1...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njg4Ng

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

    Last month NVIDIA brought PureVideo features to Linux through a new API they call the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix in their NVIDIA 180.xx driver. NVIDIA also provided a set of patches that enabled MPlayer to use this API that offloads video decoding and other tasks to the GPU. The formats supported by VDPAU are currently H.264, MPEG, WMV3, and VC-1...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njg4Ng
    Great news ! too bad I've changed my 8600GT for HD4850, but I hope that 8.12 will bring something similar.

    Anyway it's a very good thing for linux community.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sad news ... Community decided to implement this and support nvidia blob. That's clear signal for : " we do accept your blob, give it to us and do not care about foolish intel or ati that provides open drivers."

      I mean mplayer people should tell nvidia to GTFO with their patches unless they provide an open VDPAU driver. In this case it's even worse because it's the community that coded the support for it.
      Last edited by val-gaav; 11-29-2008, 02:13 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        MythTV rocks

        Already new this, but cool to read it on my fovorite news site

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
          Sad news ... Community decided to implement this and support nvidia blob. That's clear signal for : " we do accept your blob, give it to us and do not care about foolish intel or ati that provides open drivers."
          It proves that people prefer working solutions instead of roadmaps and promises.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
            Sad news ... Community decided to implement this and support nvidia blob. That's clear signal for : " we do accept your blob, give it to us and do not care about foolish intel or ati that provides open drivers."

            I mean mplayer people should tell nvidia to GTFO with their patches unless they provide an open VDPAU driver. In this case it's even worse because it's the community that coded the support for it.
            I don't care it's not open source. I just want it to be free (as in beer) and working good/stable.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah Free Beer.

              I'm just sorry i got suckered into buying a HD4870.

              Comment


              • #8
                Nice. Is it possible to use MythTV in some sort of player-only mode? I'm not interested in the media center functionality.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                  Sad news ...
                  Waaaaaaaah cry nVidia is providing something the community is not, shame on them. I care more for the 99% vs 1% battle of windows vs linux than the 0.99% vs 0.01% battle between working Linux and broken Linux. Working OSS > Working CSS > Broken OSS any day of the week. If you don't like it, ask bridgman for repo access and get hacking so I can get my working OSS, thankyouverymuch.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by greg View Post
                    Nice. Is it possible to use MythTV in some sort of player-only mode? I'm not interested in the media center functionality.
                    Yes it is possible to use it with no pvr functions.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ..But MythTV uses either Xine, or Mplayer as the actual player by default..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by curaga View Post
                        ..But MythTV uses either Xine, or Mplayer as the actual player by default..
                        You can see what patches were done here.

                        http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/19165

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good news to see sane people doing good things.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                            Sad news ...
                            its an interesting question but there is the problem with

                            it just works ...

                            now this where I struggle, I am no evangelist, I have also parked on a yellow line before - I am trying to build an HTPC and I am trying to use foss as much as possible BUT sometimes a compromise ...

                            well anyhow I am no ferverent nvidia supporter but I now have the option of

                            a) waiting for a year (probably) before hd4xxx series amd mobo comes out
                            b) waiting for longer (?) for intel to work
                            c) to run everything of the cpu
                            d) to buy nvidia and go closed source driver

                            what do you think is the realistic thing to do? energy wise running of the gpu is definitely the best to do, also for noise and heat...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                              Good news to see sane people doing good things.
                              Ya for a change it seems that end users are getting what they want rather then developers playing morality games in linux.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X