No announcement yet.

NVIDIA VDPAU Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I would not call it "working", it is a first step in the right direction, maybe could be used by commericial blue ray players, don't know if the driver already supports hdcp and macrovision - which is also a requirement for official players I think. A free way to play blue ray would be also cool. It is right now very restricted in the h264 support, I highly doubt that you easly find suited media in the wild besides some test videos.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
      A new driver always gets me excited.

My little nice experience. I have a Dell Vostro 1400 notebook with Core 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.4GHz and NVidia 8400M GS. Running Ubuntu 8.10 with nvidia 180.06. Installed mplayer-vdpau using the source package as announced in nvnews linux forums (just downloaded mplayer-vdpau-3076399.tar.bz2 and ran the script checkout-patch-build.sh as said in readme). Running a 1080i hdtv video with normal mplayer (from medibuntu) with vo=xv, cpu usage is 50-55%, with mplayer-vdpau and *only* vo=vdpau (software accel) is 60% and looks blocky, and with vo=vdpau, vc=ffmpeg12vdpau is 35-40%. So its quite a big drop in cpu usage . Quality seems to be a little better with xv.

Great start, god speed .
      could you test h264 playback?

i tried this on a X2-4200+/1GB/8600GT system with the h264 testfile from mplayerhq (grey.ts) and i got around 5-6% cpu usage for mplayer (total about 10-12). i didnt test mpeg2 yet but i'd think if h264 runs that good mpeg2 should not produce such a "high" load.

it may also be of interest to everyone that none of the h264/aac matroska videos i tried worked. all i got was a green picture and in some cases my system just crashed.. seems to me the beta status is no understatement

but i'm very happy that this finally happened. and with intel following soon i really look forward to a bright linux-mce future
      this will surely be a boost for Linux adoptation.

if AMD can get the same thing working with their XvBA AND release proper drivers i might buy an AMD card next time. they are clearly more efficient per watt. it seems like nvidia forgot efficiency in their arms race.. 280 watt? wtf?
      with about 10 Systems running all day it makes a big difference if the graphics card uses 20 watt (HD4350) or 40 watt (8400GS).
      i still find it very interesting that the geforce7 series still is the most efficient when it comes to power usage. if high end and dx10 gaming is not of interest to you a 28 watt 7600GS seems much better to me than a 48 watt 8600GS even if performance is not exactly the same.. who needs DX10 features when you're using linux? ok ok wine will be there sometime, but until then a 7600GS would do.. if it weren't for that VDPAU.. damn you nvidia

Comment

I'm hungry for more information...
        Using this do you get better upscaling and less video tearing and other playback problems?

Comment

Originally posted by sloggerKhan View Post
          I'm hungry for more information...
          Using this do you get better upscaling and less video tearing and other playback problems?
          actually upscaling is not implemented yet but it can be done, you'll just have to wait for the developers to catch up

video tearing (vsync) is still a problem but this could be fixed in time for the final release. we'll see..

Comment

So will we see a finalised version by the time they release non-beta 180.xx drivers for linux, or will it be an ongoing effort that will stay beta WITHIN the drivers?

Comment

ffmpeg-devellopers already have noticed this patch and commented it
              http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/...er/056065.html

Comment

Why couldn't thy use open standard for video acceleration like VA-API or something like this? Proprietary stuff is wrong in the linux world...

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                  Why couldn't thy use open standard for video acceleration like VA-API or something like this? Proprietary stuff is wrong in the linux world...
                  at the moment VA-API is just a document dumped somewhere on freedesktop and inside some peoples brains. They might have used vaapi if it existed...

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                    at the moment VA-API is just a document dumped somewhere on freedesktop and inside some peoples brains. They might have used vaapi if it existed...
                    For VA-API there is a plan. For their new acceleration mode there was no plan. They had to create it from the scratch. They could have use VA-API and improve it maybe. But they did not, because they don't want to help others.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                      For VA-API there is a plan. For their new acceleration mode there was no plan. They had to create it from the scratch. They could have use VA-API and improve it maybe. But they did not, because they don't want to help others.
                      More like they can't be bothered to wait for the others to get their act together.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                        More like they can't be bothered to wait for the others to get their act together.
                        exactly. Not to mention the fact that whatever changes they would request to vaapi would end up being discussed back and forth and probably go nowhere fast.

Trying to implement an api which is currently quite nebulous, would inevitably require them to refactor/redesign again later, so why bother? Just design their own. Maybe later they can move to vaapi or create a wrapper lib (vid acceleration pipelines seem to generally be quite homogenous)...

Comment

which hardware does this feature support?

Can someone please point me to a list of exactly which NVidia hardware
                          is supported by the new VDPAU feature?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
                            Can someone please point me to a list of exactly which NVidia hardware
                            is supported by the new VDPAU feature?

Thanks.
                            Here is the official list

The API is called VDPAU (Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix). It provides a
                            large subset of PureVideo HD functionality for NVIDIA Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD
                            users.

The current API documentation is here:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vd...tml/index.html

Some highlights of VDPAU:
                            • Defines an API for GPU-accelerated decode of MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264, and
                              VC-1 bitstreams.
                            • Defines an API for post-processing of decoded video, including
                              temporal and spatial deinterlacing, inverse telecine, and noise
                              reduction.
                            • Defines an API for timestamp-based presentation of final video
                              frames.
                            • Defines an API for compositing sub-picture, on-screen display,
                              and other UI elements.

Note that VDPAU does not address content protection.

Some highlights/limitations of NVIDIA's current implementation:

The VDPAU support in the NVIDIA 180.06 beta release is still very
                            preliminary. We are aware of cases of visual corruption and in some
                            cases GPU hangs. We will be working on these issues over the next
                            several NVIDIA driver releases.

While NVIDIA's VDPAU implementation is not ready for end user use yet,
                            it should be far enough along that interested application developers
                            can begin working with it.

Additionally, NVIDIA has developed patches to ffmpeg and MPlayer to
                            demonstrate a video player using VDPAU:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vd...076399.tar.bz2

These patches include changes against libavcodec, libavutil, ffmpeg,
                            and MPlayer itself; they may serve as an example of how to use VDPAU.

Once we do some further testing, bugfixing, and cleanup, we will
                            contribute the MPlayer patches to the MPlayer developers.

If other hardware vendors are interested, they are welcome to also
                            provide implementations of VDPAU. The VDPAU API was designed to allow
                            a vendor backend to be selected at run time.

VDPAU is currently supported on the following NVIDIA GPUs:

Desktop GPUs:
                            GeForce 200 Series
                            GeForce 9 Series
                            GeForce 86xx Series
                            GeForce 85xx Series
                            GeForce 84xx Series
                            GeForce 8300 GS
                            GeForce 8800 GTS 512
                            GeForce 8800 GT
                            GeForce 8800 GS

Mobile GPUs:
                            GeForce 98xxM
                            GeForce 9700M
                            GeForce 96xxM
                            GeForce 9500M
                            GeForce 9300M
                            GeForce 9200M
                            GeForce 8800M
                            GeForce 8800M GTS
                            GeForce 8800M GTX
                            GeForce 8600M
                            GeForce 8400M

Motherboard GPUs:
                            GeForce 9400
                            GeForce 9300
                            GeForce 9100
                            GeForce 8300
                            GeForce 8200

VC-1 support in NVIDIA's VDPAU implementation currently requires GeForce
                            9300 GS, GeForce 9200M GS, GeForce 9300M GS, or GeForce 9300M GS.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                              Here is the official list
                              deanjo, thank you very much!

Comment

Can you still use post-decode filters with this?

Comment

Working...
                                X