No announcement yet.

Chromium Ported To Mir Display Server, Based On Wayland Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see it that way.. .chrome devs have an outside perspective and to them Wayland / Mir may just be a political *situation* to tame rather than take sides in for productivity's sake,.

Comment

Oh crap, now they're gonna use that as a new argument to drop Firefox and adopt Chromium as default. I hope someone's working on porting Firefox too.

Originally posted by benalib View Post
      why not
      let other do the heavy tasks and then port it! and it works just compare between the two presentation
      You're in the Phoronix Forums, remember? If Canonical writes something different we are supposed to say "Again this devilish company and its CLAed, NIH syndrome fragmenting Linux and refusing to work with the community", if Canonical adopts a community project or uses someone else's code instead of reinventing the wheel it's "All these lazy fucks do is steal other people's hard work".

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
        *cough* fragmentation *cough* *cough* cancer *cough*

I can't be the only one thinking it.
        Well, they're supposed to be working on avoiding this:
        Originally posted by Robert Carr
        Moving forward we are engaging with the Chrome team and Ozone Wayland engineers to develop a plan to move such a layer of interfaces upstream, enabling an easy life of collaboration for Ozone Wayland and Mir.

Comment

I have quite serious suspicion, that this is happening because Pavel Popov has joined ranks of what he has tried to clone.

Next headline will be - Ubuntu renames itself into Bolgenbuntu and Canonical becomes Poposoft.

Viva BolgenOS!

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Not quite. Chromium was ported by Canonical. The first non-Canonical Mir App would be some Ubuntu Touch app from a hobby programmer. There are already many of them available.
            Actually, XBMC was the first.
            http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQxODc

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a View Post
              Oh crap, now they're gonna use that as a new argument to drop Firefox and adopt Chromium as default. I hope someone's working on porting Firefox too.

You're in the Phoronix Forums, remember? If Canonical writes something different we are supposed to say "Again this devilish company and its CLAed, NIH syndrome fragmenting Linux and refusing to work with the community", if Canonical adopts a community project or uses someone else's code instead of reinventing the wheel it's "All these lazy fucks do is steal other people's hard work".
              Yeah right, like the FSF doesn't require any CLA/CAA on any of its projects.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                I have quite serious suspicion, that this is happening because Pavel Popov has joined ranks of what he has tried to clone.

Next headline will be - Ubuntu renames itself into Bolgenbuntu and Canonical becomes Poposoft.

Viva BolgenOS!
                Паша, это ты? Хватит всякую хуйню нести.

The user brosis is Pavel Popov.

Comment

I hope in the quick porting to wayland graphic server of all linux operating systems.
                  Last edited by Azrael5; 03-04-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                    .. begs the question - which parts of Mir are original?
                    DRM? (as in restrictions manglement) possibly. I found a possibly outdated spec page on Ubuntu's site http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-s/gr...pic-s-mir.html and it mentions 'DRM (rights managment)' as a todo ~75%. Now keep in mind it could be an outdated page, it hasn't been touched since May 2013...
                    Today marks 1 year since they announced the thing BTW.
                    Last edited by nerdopolis; 03-04-2014, 06:40 PM. Reason: Corrected the link

Comment

I know this is blasphemy on this site - but I can't wait to see Mir in its full glory.

That video demonstration looked so smooth.

This anticipation feels like the late 90's again - when I would wait for Linux Forum magazine to ship from the UK with its CD packed with new software to try for the first time.

Comment

so flash is working ?

and also when is firefox ported ?

Comment

good work it looks smoother than ozone-wayland presentation
                          The wayland video showed it not being fullscreened, and opening multiple windows. This was just exercising scrolling and the browser's webgl implementation. I'd have love to have seen how the windowing worked (considering that is one of the two areas that this is addressing).

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a View Post
                            Nah, that's so old, man! Now it's Red Hat! Hating Red Hat is what it is all about, man! Them dictators forcing stuff upon us, ruing our freedom of choice! Screw them! /s

Comment

good work
                              it looks smoother than ozone-wayland presentation
                              This presentation is filmed with an external camera, the wayland/weston one is using the screen recorder implemented in weston if i'm not mistaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJB2pznc6iY

See Thiago Vignattis comment " UI smoothness is really tricky when video casting cause the CPU is already exhausted due the video capture. So I agree that things are not smooth on this video but it is when in normal usage "

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                                Yeah right, like the FSF doesn't require any CLA/CAA on any of its projects.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html
                                Hey, I was being sarcastic.

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                                Nah, that's so old, man! Now it's Red Hat! Hating Red Hat is what it is all about, man! Them dictators forcing stuff upon us, ruing our freedom of choice! Screw them! /s
                                OMGOMG I was not aware of that yet!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X