Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir 0.1.2 Pulls In 52 Changes, Surface Resize Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mir 0.1.2 Pulls In 52 Changes, Surface Resize Support

    Phoronix: Mir 0.1.2 Pulls In 52 Changes, Surface Resize Support

    With Canonical now focusing on making Mir ready for its desktop premiere in Ubuntu 14.10 but already shipping and supporting Mir for Ubuntu Touch, it's time for another Mir display server update. This week's Mir 0.1.2 update carries at least 52 changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyODQ

  • #2
    Since Mir is being worked on both desktops and phones, I'm hoping for the desktop version to get more love after 14.10, as I'm going to need libhybris on this Odroid I have.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have the impression that Mir is focusing on phones, it seems that the desktop is not a priority

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
        Since Mir is being worked on both desktops and phones, I'm hoping for the desktop version to get more love after 14.10, as I'm going to need libhybris on this Odroid I have.
        You have an odroid? Which model?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          You have an odroid? Which model?
          Odroid-XU, the best one that I could get, it's pretty impressive. Once drivers appear, I'd like to try out some benchmarks on *some* games that are lightweight. It uses an SGX 544 GPU which is PowerVR. Drivers exist for Android but not Linux as it is. I miss Unity because I'm getting a bit sick of Xubuntu a bit.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by benalib View Post
            I have the impression that Mir is focusing on phones, it seems that the desktop is not a priority
            What I meant is after 14.10, by that time they'll be polishing the desktop. Hopefully it won't be too late, and I honestly really really want Canonical to succeed with their Touch OS.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
              Odroid-XU, the best one that I could get, it's pretty impressive. Once drivers appear, I'd like to try out some benchmarks on *some* games that are lightweight. It uses an SGX 544 GPU which is PowerVR. Drivers exist for Android but not Linux as it is. I miss Unity because I'm getting a bit sick of Xubuntu a bit.
              Cool, I was looking at that model too. I was thinking of using it as a minecraft server, even though it would waste the great gpu power that model has. I'm actually typing from an atom N270 netbook with Xubuntu, its not so bad (removing the xfce dock and replacing with plant dock makes its better), but I know that feel. Once you get used to Unity, the older interfaces just feel dated. I can't wait until my work laptop gets back from repairs so I can use Unity again.

              Comment


              • #8
                i really doubt mir will be ready for users before 15.04 and ubuntu touch need a lot of work too.

                my guess is that they expected lots of ppl contributing to Mir but since they got the finger those timelines are going to suffer a lot of delays

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  removing the xfce dock and replacing with plant dock makes its better
                  Do you have a link for that "plant dock"? Google isn't helpfull.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    i really doubt mir will be ready for users before 15.04 and ubuntu touch need a lot of work too.

                    my guess is that they expected lots of ppl contributing to Mir but since they got the finger those timelines are going to suffer a lot of delays
                    Mir may very well be ready for 14.10. It will only be replacing X afterall, which is already a clusterf*ck... The question is when will Unity 8 be ready for desktops. Since no work has yet been done on that front, and Unity 7 should be really stable by then, it will have to be in very good shape to replace Unity 7 without angering more users.

                    If possible, I would rather see canonical release mir+unity 8 as is as an optional login already for 14.10 and keep updating it rolling release style. This way, even though it is completely unusable right now, it would get more testing from the most adventurous users and slowly replace unity 7, while not being a complete break from one release to the other. Those who need stability simply stick to the old Xorg+Unity 7

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by benalib View Post
                      I have the impression that Mir is focusing on phones, it seems that the desktop is not a priority
                      The last cycle the focused on phones, this cycle they will focus on tablets and next cycle they will focus on desktop.
                      After that they hopefully can spread the work out on all three platforms.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                        Do you have a link for that "plant dock"? Google isn't helpfull.
                        Mistype. I meant plank dock. https://launchpad.net/plank

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                          Mistype. I meant plank dock. https://launchpad.net/plank
                          Thanks, looks really interesting but I can't try it cause of the lack of (functional) gentoo ebuilds. Tried from the angelos overlay, right now my blocker is x11-libs/bamf:
                          Code:
                          gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--c-include=libbamf/libbamf.h’
                          Maybe somebody here has some good ebuilds? I really don't want to mess with that stuff just for trying plank.
                          Last edited by V10lator; 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
                            Mir may very well be ready for 14.10. It will only be replacing X afterall, which is already a clusterf*ck..
                            Hey... X has it's flaws, but whatever else can be said of it, it's been providing a working Linux desktop for decades. That's a hell of a high bar for anything to replace, which is why until recently, none of the attempts to replace it have come close to succeeding...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                              Hey... X has it's flaws, but whatever else can be said of it, it's been providing a working Linux desktop for decades. That's a hell of a high bar for anything to replace, which is why until recently, none of the attempts to replace it have come close to succeeding...
                              X is simply the biggest design mistake in the history of *nixes. It is against KISS, violates UNIX-way (just like systemd does :P), creates a lot of stupid bugs (mostly security bugs - e. g. screensaver handling), is complicated and primitive at once and kills little kittens. Should be replaced by sth. Wayland/Mir-alike years ago.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X