Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir Got An Important Rendering Performance Fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mir Got An Important Rendering Performance Fix

    Phoronix: Mir Got An Important Rendering Performance Fix

    The latest revision to Mir features an important performance fix...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MDk

  • #2
    Is Cononical paying you to make Mir seem like a godsend to linux users? You're converting it way too much making Mir seem like a big deal and you keep only showing how "amazing" it is.
    Mir is Ubuntu only, it does not affect any other distro so why try and make it seem like a good thing? Its getting annoying to be honest...

    Comment


    • #3
      Mir is Linux news. This is a Linux news site. Go figure.

      Actually, I think you'll find the reason is because Mir stories are click-bait and so are good for ad revenue. You may or may not like that, but it keeps the site alive.

      I don't think anybody reading Phoronix is going to change their opinion on Mir based on what Michael posts anyway.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's pretty funny when in the comments of one article people say Michael is biased against Mir, and in another they say he's biased in favour of it

        Comment


        • #5
          Sounds more like a design flaw than a bug

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wizout View Post
            Sounds more like a design flaw than a bug
            You sound more like a fanboy than a user with serious opinion

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              Mir is Linux news. This is a Linux news site. Go figure.

              Actually, I think you'll find the reason is because Mir stories are click-bait and so are good for ad revenue. You may or may not like that, but it keeps the site alive.

              I don't think anybody reading Phoronix is going to change their opinion on Mir based on what Michael posts anyway.
              Yeah, Michael wouldn't keep posting these articles unless they were bringing in the ad money. If people stopped caring, so would he.

              On a more on-topic note, what does this do for a minimized application? Can you still see a live preview of it (by hovering over a taskbar entry, for example)? Or will that have nothing to render now? I'm guessing in mobile you might not even want that because of the power use, but in desktop you might very well want to keep it, at least as an option.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 10-20-2013, 06:05 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Beginners.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Weston has had this capability for a long time.

                  If a surface is partially hidden, Weston will only draw the visible part of the surface (and obviously will redraw it only if the surface is damaged).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by verde View Post
                    You sound more like a fanboy than a user with serious opinion
                    How come, was there any non-working code to handle this or was it implemented after the bug report ?

                    Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                    Weston has had this capability for a long time.

                    If a surface is partially hidden, Weston will only draw the visible part of the surface (and obviously will redraw it only if the surface is damaged).
                    Well, that's what every sane renderer *should* do.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wizout View Post
                      Well, that's what every sane renderer *should* do.
                      Yes, I was surprised by this also. I assumed this is what Mir was already doing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wizout View Post
                        How come, was there any non-working code to handle this or was it implemented after the bug report ?
                        https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mir-te.../revision/1135
                        https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mir-te.../revision/1146

                        All the code was merged in these revisions, so obviously either it is a case they did not think about when designing (what I called design flaw earlier) OR somebody lost a post-it on the taskboard

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The froze the Mir trunk some time before Ubuntu 13.10 was released to not introduce new major regressions. This one here is one of the many commits they have done in a seperate development branch that is now merged into Mir trunk now that Ubuntu 13.10 is released.

                          Also, this is exactly the kind of news that should be on Phoronix. Lol @ "Michael is a Mir hater" & "Michael is getting paid by Canonical".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                            Can you still see a live preview of it (by hovering over a taskbar entry, for example)? Or will that have nothing to render now?
                            As Mir and Unity will be kind of tight Unity will probably be able to tell Mir start rendering this again.

                            Originally posted by wizout View Post
                            How come, was there any non-working code to handle this or was it implemented after the bug report ?
                            Doesn't rely matter. If the design is fairly good such stuff should be addable pretty simple.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
                              Is Cononical paying you to make Mir seem like a godsend to linux users? You're converting it way too much making Mir seem like a big deal and you keep only showing how "amazing" it is.
                              Mir is Ubuntu only, it does not affect any other distro so why try and make it seem like a good thing? Its getting annoying to be honest...
                              Mir, whether we want it or not, is a big deal. He's posting so much about it BECAUSE it gets people's interest and because it's developing at a MUCH faster rate than wayland. I get the impression Michael overall seems to favor wayland but Mir really can't be ignored - there's a high chance it will succeed in replacing X. If both nvidia and AMD support Mir with their proprietary drivers before they support wayland, that's a pretty big deal (AFAIK, nvidia already intends to support mir).

                              While I personally would much rather have wayland be the universal replacement to X, I feel as though only 1 display server will end up on top and leaving the other in the dust, and unfortunately I think that's going to be mir. One problem is Intel is pretty much the only major company (that I'm aware of) developing for wayland, but they're only doing it for their own gain and otherwise they don't seem to touch it that much. The other problem is too much development for Wayland has been spent on gimmicky features, meaning not enough time was spent on making it do everything X can do (in other words, making it a viable replacement).

                              For political reasons, I want Mir to fail. Otherwise, I think Canonical is doing a fantastic job in the amount of time they've been working on Mir.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X