Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XMir Performance Measured On Ubuntu 13.10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Awesome.

    Now do these same tests on a mid-range computer made 3-4 years ago that doesn't have the latest and greatest hardware and that doesn't have everything compiled and tuned for performance. Then go ahead and try to tell me the difference is "negligible". $50 says the performance hit is going to be MUCH, MUCH more noticeable...
    I've been testing XMir on my PC built in 2008 and the performance hit is also negligible. Here are the specs of that PC:

    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2
    GeForce 9600 GT
    6 GB RAM DDR2

    In Unigine Heaven 3.0 running at Medium settings and fullscreen 1920x1080 XMir was slower than X server by literally 0.3 FPS and it had 9 points less. There is also that thing with GtkPerf being much faster on XMir than on X server with this PC. On XMir I get total time for all tests in the range of 8.30 to 9.10 seconds while on X this times go from 9.60 to 10.90 seconds.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Bestia View Post
      I've been testing XMir on my PC built in 2008 and the performance hit is also negligible. Here are the specs of that PC:

      AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2
      GeForce 9600 GT
      6 GB RAM DDR2

      In Unigine Heaven 3.0 running at Medium settings and fullscreen 1920x1080 XMir was slower than X server by literally 0.3 FPS and it had 9 points less. There is also that thing with GtkPerf being much faster on XMir than on X server with this PC. On XMir I get total time for all tests in the range of 8.30 to 9.10 seconds while on X this times go from 9.60 to 10.90 seconds.
      #10 post (excluding #1 post) - first on-topic!

      Bestia is tearing vanished with xMir? With Xorg tearing is EVERYWHERE! (Try to run a "tearing test" video on Youtube if you can please)

      Comment


      • #13
        I didn't see tearing in Unity when running on X server. XMir unfortunately has tearing on Nouveau drivers.

        Nouevau doesn't have the precise vBlank in NV50 up to NVC0 and newer. Maarten Lankhorst from Canonical made a patch for that but it turned out that while it resolved problems on XMir it also halved the FPS on X server.

        Comment


        • #14
          I have tearing with nvidia drivers on Ubuntu (GTX 460) but not much possiby because there is compiz there.

          In the other hand in my legacy pc (ATi 2600 PRO) I run Xubuntu (which doesn't have compiz) and tearing is everywhere and I mean it!

          Mir should fix those kind of problems. Thats why I am asking.

          Comment


          • #15

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by verde View Post
              In the other hand in my legacy pc (ATi 2600 PRO) I run Xubuntu (which doesn't have compiz) and tearing is everywhere and I mean it!
              Problem solved.

              Comment


              • #17
                I have enabled "EXAVSync" and it does work fine.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Bestia View Post
                  I didn't see tearing in Unity when running on X server. XMir unfortunately has tearing on Nouveau drivers.

                  Nouevau doesn't have the precise vBlank in NV50 up to NVC0 and newer. Maarten Lankhorst from Canonical made a patch for that but it turned out that while it resolved problems on XMir it also halved the FPS on X server.
                  I take back that X server doesn't have tearing problems on my PC running Unity in Ubuntu 13.10 with Nouveau drivers. I've tried running some tearing tests on YouTube as verde suggested and I definitely see tearing in those two videos:

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkNy9gfKOg

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceX18O9pvLs

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    I hope XMir is not pushed into Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. It should be added on 14.10.
                    Just let the option to use it in Ubuntu 14.04, but not the default.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                      I hope XMir is not pushed into Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. It should be added on 14.10.
                      Just let the option to use it in Ubuntu 14.04, but not the default.
                      Mir should be added (if they still want to go Mir, I mean) in 14.10. XMir should never be used as a mean to run a desktop.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X