Composition Bypass Support Lands To Speed Up Mir

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    on Xmir? or Xorg fall back? i have yet to get this working on a Newer AMD GPU or Nivdia
    I'm running the unity-system-compositor, so on Xmir. It runs with around 20 fps, which is okay because I'm not playing on my Laptop anyway, I was just testing it.

Comment

Originally posted by fossy View Post
      hmm - 6% of 30fps is 2fps.

If you are playing a game at 28fps you need a better graphics card!
      on a light weight game it will be 6% but on a Heavly Game that 6% can be 10% 20% or even 50% i want to be some real test and Btw how do we know what they really did to this to get them mark's you can tweak Xorg server to make it run a hell of a lot faster but it's going to be Unsafe and Unstable you know what i can gut the Xorg Server too (done it befor)

Comment

are we making figures up now? 50%

Michael says Canonical are using his software for benchmarking. Surely you are not saying his software is giving that amount of variation?!

Comment

well XMir "optimizations" are not compatible with XWayland because XWayland is rootless while Xmir is a whole Xorg server with a glorified page-flipper + optional compositor[with this patch].

forgot to quote OP, see page 1

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            well XMir "optimizations" are not compatible with XWayland because XWayland is rootless while Xmir is a whole Xorg server with a glorified page-flipper + optional compositor[with this patch].

forgot to quote OP, see page 1
            Yeah - I get the impression that TheOne is probably a 'buntu user.

Still waiting for a major distro such as Fedora to have Wayland stuff built in to benchmark against. Anyone have any dates when we should expect to have something alpha'ish to benchmark against?

Comment

are we making figures up now? 50%

Michael says Canonical are using his software for benchmarking. Surely you are not saying his software is giving that amount of variation?!
              i'm not at all saying at all it's his software but i like to see him do the Marks and not them there is no telling what they did to the Xorg Server to get this marks and look at the marks they ran "light weight's"

Comment

i'm not at all saying at all it's his software but i like to see him do the Marks and not them there is no telling what they did to the Xorg Server to get this marks and look at the marks they ran "light weight's"
                knowing michael's propensity for this stuff ... he is probably benchmarking this right now :P

Comment

knowing michael's propensity for this stuff ... he is probably benchmarking this right now :P
                  lets see if they really fixed it for are just out for some more PR but anyways this looks bad as it's going to be slower in a battle of Xorg vs Xmir as of now it's Xorg>Xmir (or the Xwayland Hack job that when bad)

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
                  I'm running the unity-system-compositor, so on Xmir. It runs with around 20 fps, which is okay because I'm not playing on my Laptop anyway, I was just testing it.
                  what FPS do you get on the Xorg server?

Comment

Anyone have any dates when we should expect to have something alpha'ish to benchmark against?
                    Around the middle of 2014. That's when Ubuntu 14.10 alphas should be up. Before that there is nothing that can run on Mir, thus XMir needs a full DE, and therefore before that date there is no point on comparing XMir and XWayland (XWayland is always going to be faster).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      Around the middle of 2014. That's when Ubuntu 14.10 alphas should be up. Before that there is nothing that can run on Mir, thus XMir needs a full DE, and therefore before that date there is no point on comparing XMir and XWayland (XWayland is always going to be faster).
                      this will be the pre-alpha will it not? (like most Ubuntu Releases)

Comment

what FPS do you get on the Xorg server?
                        Around 30, so it's nearly a 66% performance drop from X.org to Mir. I haven't tested it with the new bypass support though because I got several artifacts with this update, which made the desktop unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
                          Around 30, so it's nearly a 66% performance drop from X.org to Mir. I haven't tested it with the new bypass support though because I got several artifacts with this update, which made the desktop unusable.
                          20/30 fps=66% of the frame rate or a 33% drop. I hate to be the math stickler but it is as though basic math skills are thrown out the window whenever Ubuntu is discussed (a lot of it in this thread today). I am sure someone will find a way to blame that on Shuttleworth though this is forum abounding in unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

I am waiting to test Xmir until closer to the 13.10 date of arrival. So I applaud you for wading in early though, I am not usually that brave with really new software.

Comment

Originally posted by allenmaher View Post
                            20/30 fps=66% of the frame rate or a 33% drop. I hate to be the math stickler but it is as though basic math skills are thrown out the window whenever Ubuntu is discussed (a lot of it in this thread today). I am sure someone will find a way to blame that on Shuttleworth though this is forum abounding in unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.
                            Eeeh, that's actually what I wanted to write. Dunno how I got the 66% in there, I'll edit my post before someone tries to use it as a news article or something like that. Sorry about that.

But yeah, the confirmation bias and conspiracy theories are strong in here ...

EDIT: Seems like you can't edit posts after 30 minutes of their existence anymore. Great, now I look like a total dumbass
                            Last edited by Weegee; 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM.

Comment

There are two things I don't get. The first one, Mir for Android? Is it meant to run on Android, or it was talking about running with Android drivers (which are not the same thing)? And the other thing, wasn't the big focus to get the phones version ready first? Shouldn't it be a priority to allow composition bypass there, even before enabling it on desktops?

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                                There are two things I don't get. The first one, Mir for Android? Is it meant to run on Android, or it was talking about running with Android drivers (which are not the same thing)? And the other thing, wasn't the big focus to get the phones version ready first? Shouldn't it be a priority to allow composition bypass there, even before enabling it on desktops?
                                ubuntu touch for phones are on android phones... there isnt any ubuntu phone yet, only after 2014.

Comment

Working...
                                X