Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Driver On XMir Still Is Messy Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radeon Driver On XMir Still Is Messy Experience

    Phoronix: Radeon Driver On XMir Still Is Messy Experience

    Going back to June on Phoronix there have been Ubuntu Mir/XMir performance benchmarks. Up to this point these benchmarks have only been done with Intel and Nouveau graphics drivers, since the AMD Radeon driver has been rather problematic with XMir. Sadly, this still appears to be the case...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzMTA

  • #2
    Here's the summary of the next 50 Posts.


    Argument 1: *mimimimi* It isn't finished yet! Mir is so awesome. It kicked waylands ass! People not accepting Mir are politicians! All hail Ubuntu.
    Argument 2. Mir is retarded and causes fragmenation without providing any benefits.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Here's the summary of the next 50 Posts.


      Argument 1: *mimimimi* It isn't finished yet! Mir is so awesome. It kicked waylands ass! People not accepting Mir are politicians! All hail Ubuntu.
      Argument 2. Mir is retarded and causes fragmenation without providing any benefits.
      Yep, this forum is full of immature trolls on both sides.

      Comment


      • #4
        Gaming!

        As long as Mir doesn't impair gaming (i.e Steam), I'm all for it! If it breaks - Distro switch!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by birdstream View Post
          As long as Mir doesn't impair gaming (i.e Steam), I'm all for it! If it breaks - Distro switch!
          most Steam Games was Broken for me on Xmir

          Comment


          • #6
            Any way you Can you do a Power Usage Xorg Vs Xmir?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              most Steam Games was Broken for me on Xmir
              Doesn't sound like good news then. Did you test it on the Saucy daily build? I'm on NVidia, and the Nouveau drivers still suck big time for any serious gaming (my computer also tend to freeze/lock up with nouveau). So if by the point when Canonical releases 14.04, Nvidia has no support for Mir it's bye-bye Ubuntu

              Comment


              • #8
                Messy?

                i see 1 or 2 fps of diference lol in 3 games... i love this grafs, remember me the people who buy a new video card because same things

                Comment


                • #9
                  At this point, I don't know if not working with Mir is a bug or a feature.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                    i see 1 or 2 fps of diference lol in 3 games... i love this grafs, remember me the people who buy a new video card because same things
                    As long as there is no Mir support from NVidia, Geforce users have to use the open source nouveau driver to run Mir. And it's not even close in performance to the NVidia binary blobs - Still slow, still buggy, and overall still sucks major balls. Unless the nouveu driver gets some crazy development until Ubuntu 14.04, or NVidia by then fully supports Mir, it's distro switch for me

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      only 14.04 brings xmir by default

                      Originally posted by birdstream View Post
                      As long as there is no Mir support from NVidia, Geforce users have to use the open source nouveau driver to run Mir. And it's not even close in performance to the NVidia binary blobs - Still slow, still buggy, and overall still sucks major balls. Unless the nouveu driver gets some crazy development until Ubuntu 14.04, or NVidia by then fully supports Mir, it's distro switch for me
                      i agree with you but we need to wait and see, 13.10 only brings xmir for testing and mir/mir only to 14.10 a lot of time

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by birdstream View Post
                        As long as there is no Mir support from NVidia, Geforce users have to use the open source nouveau driver to run Mir. And it's not even close in performance to the NVidia binary blobs - Still slow, still buggy, and overall still sucks major balls. Unless the nouveu driver gets some crazy development until Ubuntu 14.04, or NVidia by then fully supports Mir, it's distro switch for me
                        there is no wayland support from nvidia either
                        nouveau will never match the binary blobs .Reverse engineering can not be a miracle

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                          i agree with you but we need to wait and see, 13.10 only brings xmir for testing and mir/mir only to 14.10 a lot of time
                          the 5 year supported LTS is going to have this Thing

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                            i agree with you but we need to wait and see, 13.10 only brings xmir for testing and mir/mir only to 14.10 a lot of time
                            From http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-to-defau...ow-7000017443/

                            "...Ubuntu 13.10 will use XMir, a stack where X and Unity 7 run on top of the Mir system compositor by default, with a fallback option of running X without any Mir driver support. This edition will be supported for nine months.
                            By Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, a long-term release that will be supported for five years, the fallback X option will be removed. This release is intended to have full Mir driver support.
                            Come October 2014, when Ubuntu 14.10 is due, the entire Mir stack running Unity 8 as session shell will be the default option. Ubuntu 14.10 will be supported for nine months, and include rootless X support for legacy X applications..."

                            There will be no fallback X option from 14.04

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                              the 5 year supported LTS is going to have this Thing
                              Yeah, fallback X option to be removed in 14.04...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X