Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Driver On XMir Still Is Messy Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    only 14.04 brings xmir by default

    Originally posted by birdstream View Post
    As long as there is no Mir support from NVidia, Geforce users have to use the open source nouveau driver to run Mir. And it's not even close in performance to the NVidia binary blobs - Still slow, still buggy, and overall still sucks major balls. Unless the nouveu driver gets some crazy development until Ubuntu 14.04, or NVidia by then fully supports Mir, it's distro switch for me
    i agree with you but we need to wait and see, 13.10 only brings xmir for testing and mir/mir only to 14.10 a lot of time

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by birdstream View Post
      As long as there is no Mir support from NVidia, Geforce users have to use the open source nouveau driver to run Mir. And it's not even close in performance to the NVidia binary blobs - Still slow, still buggy, and overall still sucks major balls. Unless the nouveu driver gets some crazy development until Ubuntu 14.04, or NVidia by then fully supports Mir, it's distro switch for me
      there is no wayland support from nvidia either
      nouveau will never match the binary blobs .Reverse engineering can not be a miracle

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
        i agree with you but we need to wait and see, 13.10 only brings xmir for testing and mir/mir only to 14.10 a lot of time
        the 5 year supported LTS is going to have this Thing

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
          i agree with you but we need to wait and see, 13.10 only brings xmir for testing and mir/mir only to 14.10 a lot of time
          From http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-to-defau...ow-7000017443/

          "...Ubuntu 13.10 will use XMir, a stack where X and Unity 7 run on top of the Mir system compositor by default, with a fallback option of running X without any Mir driver support. This edition will be supported for nine months.
          By Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, a long-term release that will be supported for five years, the fallback X option will be removed. This release is intended to have full Mir driver support.
          Come October 2014, when Ubuntu 14.10 is due, the entire Mir stack running Unity 8 as session shell will be the default option. Ubuntu 14.10 will be supported for nine months, and include rootless X support for legacy X applications..."

          There will be no fallback X option from 14.04

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            the 5 year supported LTS is going to have this Thing
            Yeah, fallback X option to be removed in 14.04...

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
              At this point, I don't know if not working with Mir is a bug or a feature.
              That would be a missing feature...
              We know you don't like Mir, and you were trying to be funny (didn't work), but it's still a missing feature.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by DanL View Post
                That would be a missing feature...
                We know you don't like Mir, and you were trying to be funny (didn't work), but it's still a missing feature.
                Or for those of us that wont use Mir and prefer thin and light systems it could be considered a free bonus.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by birdstream View Post
                  As long as there is no Mir support from NVidia, Geforce users have to use the open source nouveau driver to run Mir. And it's not even close in performance to the NVidia binary blobs - Still slow, still buggy, and overall still sucks major balls. Unless the nouveu driver gets some crazy development until Ubuntu 14.04, or NVidia by then fully supports Mir, it's distro switch for me
                  Nvidia is reportedly working on an EGL driver, so I don't think people have to worry so much. The nvidia EGL driver may not be ready by 13.10, but 13.10 still has a fallback X session so that's not a big deal. I'm sure there will be something by 14.04.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                    Nvidia is reportedly working on an EGL driver, so I don't think people have to worry so much. The nvidia EGL driver may not be ready by 13.10, but 13.10 still has a fallback X session so that's not a big deal. I'm sure there will be something by 14.04.
                    Like i mentioned in my first post, as long as it works I really don't care

                    I'm not a programmer, but doesn't all the games need to be programmed to use EGL rather than GLX? Or is it magically just going to work somehow?

                    Comment


                    • #20

                      Originally posted by birdstream View Post
                      Like i mentioned in my first post, as long as it works I really don't care

                      I'm not a programmer, but doesn't all the games need to be programmed to use EGL rather than GLX? Or is it magically just going to work somehow?
                      EGL and GLX will both be supported so it should work either way. EGL isnt really designed for games, it's more for creating user interfaces. GLX is what you want to use for games.
                      Last edited by duby229; 08-08-2013, 04:29 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X