Canonical Starts Work On Mir Multi-Monitor Handling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    I have two displays running on the Unity desktop and my GTX 570 downclocks to 50/135/101 MHz graphics / memory / processor clocks. Maybe it's different for a CF / SLI setup though.
    as mentioned i get the same bad result with GT210 as HD5xxx, so Nvidia isn't a magic bullet. At home though with, smaller monitors, things works grate on my GTX460se. My laptop with HD6370m also works grate with two monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      as mentioned i get the same bad result with GT210 as HD5xxx, so Nvidia isn't a magic bullet. At home though with, smaller monitors, things works grate on my GTX460se. My laptop with HD6370m also works grate with two monitors.
      I get good performance with two monitors on a GT210 but that is with GNOME2 + compiz. I can't speak to the newer compositors.

Comment

I get good performance with two monitors on a GT210 but that is with GNOME2 + compiz. I can't speak to the newer compositors.
        The one where i get poor performance is about 3kx2k resolution, don't know if that has any thing to say.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          The one where i get poor performance is about 3kx2k resolution, don't know if that has any thing to say.
          Interesting. I'm using a pair of 1080p monitors. What DE are you using?

Comment

Incoherency

Originally posted by dh04000
            I hope to see this done well. I haven't had a positive multi-desktop experience in linux on any of the DE's on any distros.
            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Thats X's fault. Granted libkscreen aims to fix that. Give KDE 4.11 a try when it comes out, or the latest release of Fedora KDE (they shipped it ahead of time)
            Ericg your message is self-contradictory: if it is X fault, how KDE can fix it as it is still running on X?

Comment

Also committed on Tuesday with another revision a new --nested-mode option for running a Mir Display Server in a nested configuration atop an already present Mir process.
              Please do your homework. While the commit indeed adds the option the code clearly throws an exception if used because Mir-on-Mir is deliberately not supported yet.

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post
                Ericg your message is self-contradictory: if it is X fault, how KDE can fix it as it is still running on X?
                kscreen is a workaround for the limitations of X. One of the reasons it took so long to implement something like kscreen is because it is hard to do under X.

Comment

Interesting. I'm using a pair of 1080p monitors. What DE are you using?
                  Unity 12345678910

Comment

Working...
                  X