Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XBMC Ported To Run On Mir Display Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • XBMC Ported To Run On Mir Display Server

    Phoronix: XBMC Ported To Run On Mir Display Server

    The XBMC media center software has been ported so it can run directly on the Mir Display Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxODc

  • #2
    Fantastic job. It seems that porting an application to Wayland AND Mir is not that hard. So there is no reason for community civil war in the end. It would be nice if they have a healthy competition like OpenOffice/LibreOffice have, that will push both projects to a better and better state. Already Wayland project seemS to have accelerated since Mir announced.
    Last edited by verde; 07-23-2013, 06:30 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by verde View Post
      Fantastic job. It seems that porting an application to Wayland AND Mir is not that hard.
      I know it wasn't the focus of your point but... xbmc is not just 'an' application, but 'the' application

      I'm waiting patiently for the day that I can boot a distro/appliance like openelec without any x dependencies (and with fully oss amd drivers on relevant hardware once the driver/acceleration quality/quirks improve)

      Maybe this is closer than I thought and more realistically....feasible.

      Some seriously excellent work and progress I'm seeing. As a naive user it's great to see real-world uses improving so fast I'm an area that really interests me and makes my life 'better'. Optimising the kernel for 8000x CPU racks is nice, but desktops and media consumption really make a difference to me and my selfish needs. Comments from friends even more ignorant than me like "Sweet jebus how does your tv do that?" gives me a warmer feeling inside than "so how do you load this macro'd xlsx on that funny looking desktop?" - helps make the world a better place too
      Last edited by runrun; 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by verde View Post
        Already Wayland project seemS to have accelerated since Mir announced.
        Where on earth did you get that nonsense.

        Here's Wayland development. Tell me just how you came to the conclusion you exposed, as what I see is the exact opposite. There was no effect whatsoever.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bne6LZYiPds

        You should know best than just repeat random claims with people who have no idea what they're talking about. Do your fucking research.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by verde View Post
          Fantastic job. It seems that porting an application to Wayland AND Mir is not that hard. So there is no reason for community civil war in the end. It would be nice if they have a healthy competition like OpenOffice/LibreOffice have, that will push both projects to a better and better state. Already Wayland project seemS to have accelerated since Mir announced.
          If the best argument for Mir is that having the competition somehow improves Wayland (which is a dubious claim at best, void of any evidence), wouldn't it be even better if instead of Mir, all that effort would be put into... oh I don't know, maybe improving Wayland directly???

          And just because one application has been ported to both Wayland and Mir doesn't mean that it's going to all be sunshine and cookies from thereon. There's still issues like games, proprietary software that gets ported from other platforms, esp. windows where the developers are used to one environment, one everything, no questions asked. Do you think everyone will go through the trouble of developing 2-3 different backends for their software? No, most likely they'll just use X because it's the lowest common denominator that runs on everything.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dee. View Post
            If the best argument for Mir is that having the competition somehow improves Wayland (which is a dubious claim at best, void of any evidence), wouldn't it be even better if instead of Mir, all that effort would be put into... oh I don't know, maybe improving Wayland directly???

            And just because one application has been ported to both Wayland and Mir doesn't mean that it's going to all be sunshine and cookies from thereon. There's still issues like games, proprietary software that gets ported from other platforms, esp. windows where the developers are used to one environment, one everything, no questions asked. Do you think everyone will go through the trouble of developing 2-3 different backends for their software? No, most likely they'll just use X because it's the lowest common denominator that runs on everything.
            Games and applications will use SDL, Qt, GTK and so on as they always have.

            Wayland has first class support upstream on SDL, Qt, GTK. Mir doesn't and probably won't.
            Last edited by rvalles; 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rvalles View Post
              Games and applications will use SDK, Qt, GTK and so on as they always have.
              Not nearly all of them do. There's plenty of applications, including games, that need to talk to the display server directly, and don't/can't use any toolkit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Not nearly all of them do. There's plenty of applications, including games, that need to talk to the display server directly, and don't/can't use any toolkit.
                Games generally want OpenGL and will get it through SDL.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sam Spilsbury,
                  Thanks for the Wayland support!
                  I don't really care about the Mir support though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This could prove to be an interesting development for XBMC in regards to 3rd party devices.
                    In the future it would be an option for someone to release a device which uses Mir, and as it's licensed under the GPLv3, it would be ensured that no tivoisation could occur.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X