Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Continues Working On XMir Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    What you haters don't understand is that for most people Ubuntu == Linux. Ubuntu has become too big to fail. If it fails it takes everybody down with it. So you should actually learn to support Mir and all the devs focus on it especially since it moves so fast and leave Wayland for later. Linux on the desktop is where it is due to Ubuntu. Everybody should actually help them since most Linux users are Ubuntu users. If Ubuntu dies everybody moves back to Windows and Linux will go back to basement dwellers, their dogs and Richard Stallman the loser weirdo who said that Ubuntu is bad and the community should teach them a lesson. It is the opposite in fact, Richard Stallman and his loser friends need to shut up and go to their corner. They've had their time. All they got was a shitty 1% of the market. Now fuck those jokers and let's try something else!

    Do you understand that by sabotaging Canonical you are actually sabotaging yourselves? Even you Gentoo users! Linux benefits from having many users. Do you want it to wither all away, all that was gained so hard and for so much toil? Your rebellion against Canonical will come back to bite your asses. In fact it will chew you whole. So the only option for now is to support Canonical, even if you don't agree with all their decisions. Their success will trickle down to lesser used distros. Canonical winning will actually help improve the whole Linux community. Canonical is basically like the American banks in 2008. You bail them out or else....
    Oh bozley... If I didn't know you better I'd think you were trolling. Every sentence in this post reads like a purposeful troll. You've got it all there - emotional arguments that you have no intention of ever backing up, logical fallacies, exaggerations and lies, brickwalling...

    Sadly, I'm starting to believe this is actually what you think. That you're really such a simpleton that you actually believe what you write. I've actually debated christian fundamentalists who believe the earth was literally made 6000 years ago (radiocarbon dating is a liberal conspiracy, dontcha know) who've made more sense than you are currently making.

    I'm sad, boz. Please say it ain't so. It's fun to bash trolls, but when you start to think you're actually arguing with an idiot, it just becomes sad... kind of like shooting fish in a barrel.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      What you haters don't understand is that for most people Ubuntu == Linux. Ubuntu has become too big to fail. If it fails it takes everybody down with it. So you should actually learn to support Mir and all the devs focus on it especially since it moves so fast and leave Wayland for later. Linux on the desktop is where it is due to Ubuntu. Everybody should actually help them since most Linux users are Ubuntu users. If Ubuntu dies everybody moves back to Windows and Linux will go back to basement dwellers, their dogs and Richard Stallman the loser weirdo who said that Ubuntu is bad and the community should teach them a lesson. It is the opposite in fact, Richard Stallman and his loser friends need to shut up and go to their corner. They've had their time. All they got was a shitty 1% of the market. Now fuck those jokers and let's try something else!

      Do you understand that by sabotaging Canonical you are actually sabotaging yourselves? Even you Gentoo users! Linux benefits from having many users. Do you want it to wither all away, all that was gained so hard and for so much toil? Your rebellion against Canonical will come back to bite your asses. In fact it will chew you whole. So the only option for now is to support Canonical, even if you don't agree with all their decisions. Their success will trickle down to lesser used distros. Canonical winning will actually help improve the whole Linux community. Canonical is basically like the American banks in 2008. You bail them out or else....
      I hope Ubuntu is successful too but I think they've been going in the wrong direction lately.

      JMO of course.

      Though it seems a lot in Linux is going backwards to me. I dunno. There's more ego than functional work it seems like.

      Comment


      • I found something old:

        http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551

        *coughs*

        Comment


        • Oh, I remember that post. This part particularly makes me lol:

          Originally posted by Mark Shuttleworth
          We considered and spoke with several proprietary options, on the basis that they might be persuaded to open source their work for a new push, and we evaluated the cost of building a new display manager, informed by the lessons learned in Wayland. We came to the conclusion that any such effort would only create a hard split in the world which wasn’t worth the cost of having done it. There are issues with Wayland, but they seem to be solvable, we’d rather be part of solving them than chasing a better alternative. So Wayland it is.
          What happened, Mark? Did your microsoft partners pay you to mess up the Linux desktop? Maybe...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            I agree in some points. If Ubuntu falls, it's very likely most of the non-enterprise desktop will fall with them, since the general perception is actually Ubuntu==Linux. However, that doesn't make it less prone to fail.
            Nah, another distribution will take Ubuntu place in non-enterprise desktop. The very reason of Ubuntu success is Mark Shuttleworth himself.
            Canonical cannibalized the already existing marketshare from Mandriva to Mepis through PR, they only care about themselves from day 1.
            Frankly, the latest Mir/XMir saga should be hardly surprising given Canonical history.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by finalzone View Post
              Nah, another distribution will take Ubuntu place in non-enterprise desktop. The very reason of Ubuntu success is Mark Shuttleworth himself.
              Canonical cannibalized the already existing marketshare from Mandriva to Mepis through PR, they only care about themselves from day 1.
              Frankly, the latest Mir/XMir saga should be hardly surprising given Canonical history.
              I know a lot more people that switched from Windows to Ubuntu than I've ever met who used Madriva (I only met one person, who actually used Mandrake, back in ~2000 or maybe a few years later). Those I know, two out of three are not likely to try a different distro, and the remaining will ask me for help in choosing a new one. Then, I know just ONE Linux user that doesn't use an Ubuntu flavor, a friend of mine who uses Arch and is likely to be consulted, too. I think I'll recommend Fedora or Mint if someone asks me for another option.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                Nah, another distribution will take Ubuntu place in non-enterprise desktop.
                That's what scares me.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  That's what scares me.
                  Why does it scare you? What if Ubuntu failed and Linux Mint took over it's spot?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                    Why does it scare you? What if Ubuntu failed and Linux Mint took over it's spot?
                    I guess Mint is okay but don't they use a lot of Canonical repos for stuff? Package updates, kernel backports, etc.? They seem pretty dependent.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      I guess Mint is okay but don't they use a lot of Canonical repos for stuff? Package updates, kernel backports, etc.? They seem pretty dependent.
                      Mint also has Linux Mint Debian Edition as well, so Mint would survive.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X