Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In-Fighting Continues Over Mir On Non-Unity Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Wrong. So wrong. It never becomes 'just' upstream's job, Canonical would be under a commitment to assist in testing and bug fixing.
    If the code would be unmanageable, they could easily rip it out. Canonical also retracted the statement saying Mir would be protocol agnostic.
    If you're going to make a point, at least get your facts straight.
    I have a fact straight just for you: Canonical is a champion about retracting statement.
    They offer help now (to now just words and words are cheap) right?
    They can retract it tomorrow, or drop the work half done or after two years, just saying "This do not fit our business plan, so bye bye".
    Mir compatibility is a downstream problem so apply the patches downstream and enjoy.

    About kubuntu, I think that for them will be more easy to maintein a graphical stack based on wayland rather than maintain dowstream patches for import Mir compatibility in Kwin
    All the linux ecosystem will test (and help in bug fix) the graphical stack based on wayland and because wayland adoption is upstream, KDE will take care of any bug report about kwin-wayland, so it will be a sharable workload between all distros, KDE/Gnome/Others devs and Wayland devs, instead of all the effort on the shoulders of the kubuntu's team.
    Different story to maintain the patches Kwin-Mir downstream, made for the needs of kubuntu only.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      I have a fact straight just for you: Canonical is a champion about retracting statement.
      They offer help now (to now just words and words are cheap) right?
      They can retract it tomorrow, or drop the work half done or after two years, just saying "This do not fit our business plan, so bye bye".
      Mir compatibility is a downstream problem so apply the patches downstream and enjoy.

      About kubuntu, I think that for them will be more easy to maintein a graphical stack based on wayland rather than maintain dowstream patches for import Mir compatibility in Kwin
      All the linux ecosystem will test (and help in bug fix) the graphical stack based on wayland and because wayland adoption is upstream, KDE will take care of any bug report about kwin-wayland, so it will be a sharable workload between all distros, KDE/Gnome/Others devs and Wayland devs, instead of all the effort on the shoulders of the kubuntu's team.
      Different story to maintain the patches Kwin-Mir downstream, made for the needs of kubuntu only.
      Canonical is now going to have to eat its own shit Mir is just a outer space toilet

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
        I have a fact straight just for you: Canonical is a champion about retracting statement.
        They offer help now (to now just words and words are cheap) right?
        They can retract it tomorrow, or drop the work half done or after two years, just saying "This do not fit our business plan, so bye bye".
        Mir compatibility is a downstream problem so apply the patches downstream and enjoy.
        We have no other information to go on except the ones supplied by Canonical.
        To discount their words as 'cheap' and meaningless would be inane and idiotic.
        In regards to KWin - Mir, if Mir ever gets ported to a distro that isn't the official Ubuntu release. Depending on how well XMir performs, we may well see a distro with a WM/DE that has no Wayland transition plans at this time e.g. LXDE, Xfce, move onto XMir in the near future.
        Last edited by intellivision; 06-20-2013, 08:27 PM.

        Comment


        • #94
          People are calling words cheap, but 99% of open source lives on words and promises....

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by spacetoilet View Post
            Canonical is now going to have to eat its own shit Mir is just a outer space toilet
            Thanks for registering an account just to tell us how much you dislike Canonical...

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              focus on the "unpaid" thing... canonical pay this kubuntu folks or the kde folks a few million dollars each year
              No. Canonical no longer provides financial support for Kubuntu.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                We have no other information to go on except the ones supplied by Canonical.
                Wrong.
                We have a lot of informations to go on: the history.
                And the history can speaks about your usual behaviour more than what your PR can say (trained to lie for the sake of the company).
                I can't say about you, but I usually measure the attendibility of others statements on their past record.
                Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                To discount their words as 'cheap' and meaningless would be inane and idiotic.
                Sure, instead trusting in them, no matter how many times they retraced themselves, sounds more smart.

                Comment


                • #98
                  I don't understand one simple thing about all this crap.

                  How technically difficult is to implement the Unity desktop (the shell, compositor, WM) on the top the Wayland compositor library (in the way that they want to implement it, using C++, TDD, etc)?

                  Wayland compositor library is relatively simple and is flexible enough to make any kind of user interface.

                  If they realized that they cannot implement Unity on the top of Wayland for x or y reason, why they did not talk about that to Wayland developers? (I can't remember a time when they have done that). From what I have seen, Wayland developers are very able to accept suggestion and patches, even more years ago, when Wayland had an breakable API.

                  How difficult is to have some compatibility with Weston proposed protocol and that Unity extend that protocol? I guess the upstream would be more able to accept patches for an Ubuntu specific set of protocols than for another graphic infrastructure.

                  As I can see for now, Mir is an expensive way to troll the community :P

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    I don't understand one simple thing about all this crap.

                    How technically difficult is to create the Unity desktop (compositor, shell, WM) on the top of Wayland compositor infrastructure? (in the way that they want to implement it, using C++, TDD, etc).

                    The Wayland compositor infrastructure is relatively small and is flexible enough to create any kind of shell on any kind of devices.

                    If the Unity developers realized that they could not make Unity on top Wayland for x or y issue, why they not talked about this with Wayland developers? From what I could see, Wayland developers are very able to receive constructive reviews and patches, even more years ago, when Wayland API was more breakable.

                    How difficult is for Unity developers to maintain some compatibility with the Weston proposed protocol and then extend that protocol? I think upstream would be more able to accept patches for support a set of protocols than for support an entire graphic infrastructure.

                    As I can see for now, Mir is an expensive way to troll the community :P

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      Thanks for registering an account just to tell us how much you dislike Canonical...
                      na i use to have a account back in like 2008 or maybe befor them it may have been on my old email cant remember any ways Mir is the vista of Linux

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X