Mir Still Causing Concerns By Ubuntu Derivatives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    *If* that ever happens (and I think it unlikely, myself), then I'd expect the KDE developers to at least consider accepting the patches. But even then, I'd expect them to be judging on technical merits, and from what we know about Mir being an unstable target in terms of API (as the Mir devs acknowledge), they may still be reluctant to accept them without some guarantee of stability from the Mir upstream...
    I should point out that the Mir devs have retracted the statement about the API being unstable so we have to assume that is no longer the case.
    Furthermore, in relation to the KWin team, as I said before they have the right to rip out any code that introduces bugs and vulnerabilities as seen when they dumped their tiling window function much to the dismay of the community.
    That said, it would be up to the Canonical team to supply those patches in the first place, but there should be no reason for the KWin team to reject those contributions outright simply because they're distro specific.

And an apology is an apology. Some people can be stubborn and not accept it, but that doesn't negate the fact that it exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by erendorn View Post
      Nvidia evaluating adding Wayland support, and that was already a year ago (at that time, NVidia was obviously still not evaluating adding Mir support ).

But it's not a surprise, it has always been the case, and it's just what you'd expect from them: they are looking a what it will cost them to support something, and what they will gain, and when. Then they make decisions based on that. But until there is actual support, they'll never confirm anything. If you ask them about mir support, you'll get the same answer.
      Well, that definitely has more substance than pure speculation. I take back what I said about NVidia and Wayland. Still, I think it's more about supporting both, Mir and Wayland through EGL.

Comment

• Originally posted by intellivision View Post
        That said, it would be up to the Canonical team to supply those patches in the first place, but there should be no reason for the KWin team to reject those contributions outright simply because they're distro specific.
        Upstream will and does often reject distro specific patches across many free software projects because maintenance and testing is a shared burden not just for the specific distro but also for the upstream developers who are more often than not, volunteers. Otherwise there is no reason, those patches couldn't just stay in the distro repository in the first place.

Comment

I should point out that the Mir devs have retracted the statement about the API being unstable so we have to assume that is no longer the case.
          No, we have NOT to assume that.
          If you retract one time, you can retract another time and so on. And in case of Ubuntu, they seem able to retract an impressive frequency.
          Ubuntu: "We will utilize wayland"
          Ubuntu: "We need to retract: we will utilize Mir because wayland repeats X's mistake"
          Ubuntu: "We need to retract again: we will utilize Mir, but wayland does not suffers the same X problems"
          Ubuntu: "Mir is protocol agnostic (?) and tailored around unity, so API can be changed every times it needs."
          Ubuntu: "We need to retract: API no more begin unstable... bla bla bla"

Who can be so stupid to trust in ubuntu's declaration one more time?

Comment

That's interesting. Where did you see that?

I somewhat agree, but:

If Canonical is supplying the patches, and Canonical is the only ones using the patches, what does it even need to go upstream for? The only real reason would be to get upstream to maintain it over time, so Canonical doesn't have to do so anymore. That is asking them to take on more work just to help out Canonical, and it doesn't seem like they are in the mood to do so right now.

Edit: sorry, i guess Rahul already made the same point above.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 06-17-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
              that correction of a mistake and apologizing for that is not enough, shows whats really wrong in the linux "community". that should be thought about!
              Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              And an apology is an apology. Some people can be stubborn and not accept it, but that doesn't negate the fact that it exists.
              Let me ask you both this: If I put up a webpage claiming that you were rapists and sent it to your friends, family, employer, etc, then took it down the next day and said to you, "oops, sorry", would that be enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                Let me ask you both this: If I put up a webpage claiming that you were rapists and sent it to your friends, family, employer, etc, then took it down the next day and said to you, "oops, sorry", would that be enough?
                first: it was no illegal statement like calling someone a rapist. second: it was more than a "oops, sorry"

But i dont think you actually read that because you were busy shitstorming :/

So instead of carrying on and help to solve problems in and with the linux community people keep the mudslinging going powered by the KDE guys :/

Comment

• Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
                  first: it was no illegal statement like calling someone a rapist. second: it was more than a "oops, sorry"
                  first: claiming inherent security issues is just as damaging. second: no, it really wasn't more than that. They did nothing to attempt to repair the damage they did with their false information.

This isn't mudslinging, this is trying to help you see why people are so pissed and why Canonical won't be forgiven any time soon. This isn't kindergarten, an apology doesn't solve everything.

Comment

Working...
                  X