Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

    Phoronix: Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

    Canonical's Kevin Gunn has issued a status update on new achievements for the Mir Display Server as well as for the next-generation "Unity 8" user-interface...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3MDI

  • #2
    Screenshots?

    I would try it out myself, but every time I try to build Unity-next something breaks or fails and it doesn't build. So can anybody provide Screenshots?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
      I would try it out myself, but every time I try to build Unity-next something breaks or fails and it doesn't build. So can anybody provide Screenshots?
      Unless you want to see the latest development there are great video on Youtube that walks through the UI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjzLri2sfaY

      Comment


      • #4
        Wayland

        I rather see Wayland support.
        They should get Unity-next running on Wayland.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I rather see Wayland support.
          They should get Unity-next running on Wayland.
          It wont happen

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            It wont happen
            It might... it all depends, how many people leave the Ubuntu boat to use other distros, once they can no longer use Real Linux software on Ubuntu.

            Comment


            • #7
              lol

              Originally posted by dee. View Post
              It might... it all depends, how many people leave the Ubuntu boat to use other distros, once they can no longer use Real Linux software on Ubuntu.

              lollolololol

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                Wrong my friend...Ubuntu has become so big that now you adapt to it not the other way around. Software will run on Ubuntu just because it's so popular or else it won't exist at all. Ubuntu has become the face of linux either you like it or not.
                Software might run on Ubuntu, when they maintain a working Wayland version. I really doubt that KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, ..., adapt to a display server that can break for them anytime because Canonical doesn't care for other DEs and develops Mir with Unity only in mind. Ubuntu will fail, in the same way Windows will fail because of bad decisions, although they are the face of desktop computing and the most popular OS on desktops.
                Wayland is the future, either you like it or not. Anything that can't run on Wayland will cease to exist sooner or later.

                Comment


                • #9
                  lolol

                  Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  Software might run on Ubuntu, when they maintain a working Wayland version. I really doubt that KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, ..., adapt to a display server that can break for them anytime because Canonical doesn't care for other DEs and develops Mir with Unity only in mind. Ubuntu will fail, in the same way Windows will fail because of bad decisions, although they are the face of desktop computing and the most popular OS on desktops.
                  Wayland is the future, either you like it or not. Anything that can't run on Wayland will cease to exist sooner or later.

                  lolololololol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    Software might run on Ubuntu, when they maintain a working Wayland version. I really doubt that KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, ..., adapt to a display server that can break for them anytime because Canonical doesn't care for other DEs and develops Mir with Unity only in mind. Ubuntu will fail, in the same way Windows will fail because of bad decisions, although they are the face of desktop computing and the most popular OS on desktops.
                    Wayland is the future, either you like it or not. Anything that can't run on Wayland will cease to exist sooner or later.
                    I'm sorry but I have to tell you that you are clearly delusional.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      They should get themselves some nice googlenow/siri like voice recognition. Then they can bring it to the desktop and have another way of snooping on people :P

                      From what I see, Unity on the phone looks like one of those horrible customised ui's which phone manufacturers install on their phones. The ones you switch off almost immediately. Page for your music, page for people, etc. Everything some idiot of canonical decided you should use, laid out for you the way you don't want, instead of letting you just pick your own apps and arrange your screen as you want.

                      I might be wrong, I've only seen video of it and maybe it has features that let it feel more like a desktop (which you would think would be the point of a ubuntu phone), but from what I've seen I've no interest in this product.

                      Maybe Ubuntu could get itself installed on a few feature phones.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                        They should get themselves some nice googlenow/siri like voice recognition. Then they can bring it to the desktop and have another way of snooping on people :P

                        From what I see, Unity on the phone looks like one of those horrible customised ui's which phone manufacturers install on their phones. The ones you switch off almost immediately. Page for your music, page for people, etc. Everything some idiot of canonical decided you should use, laid out for you the way you don't want, instead of letting you just pick your own apps and arrange your screen as you want.

                        I might be wrong, I've only seen video of it and maybe it has features that let it feel more like a desktop (which you would think would be the point of a ubuntu phone), but from what I've seen I've no interest in this product.

                        Maybe Ubuntu could get itself installed on a few feature phones.
                        old linux user always counter. unity is the most used shell (you can say "no" but is true) on linux distro xorg is to old wayland is dev for 5 years, why should canonical waits?! i can t understand what the problem, maybe i can the afraid of sucess puts down wayland/weston, its the only reason i can imagine, no wait another redhat loses market on servers if ubuntu turns to much popular.

                        open your minds and stop with this sh*t, linux is fredom, not redhat, ubuntu, archlinux, suse, etcetc if you don t like one choose another, if want another way is your problem, estou mesmo farto destas merdas todas, falam de liberdade mas kerem ter o controlo e tem k ser wayland hipocritas é o k são

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                          Software might run on Ubuntu, when they maintain a working Wayland version. I really doubt that KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, ..., adapt to a display server that can break for them anytime because Canonical doesn't care for other DEs and develops Mir with Unity only in mind. Ubuntu will fail, in the same way Windows will fail because of bad decisions, although they are the face of desktop computing and the most popular OS on desktops.
                          Wayland is the future, either you like it or not. Anything that can't run on Wayland will cease to exist sooner or later.
                          KDE, Gnome, XFCE, E17 (lol) don't matter anymore. Like it or not, but Canonical holds the leadership of desktop Linux. Others can either jump in or die.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                            KDE, Gnome, XFCE, E17 (lol) don't matter anymore. Like it or not, but Canonical holds the leadership of desktop Linux. Others can either jump in or die.
                            Go troll somewhere else, if you want to fanboy then do it on the Ubuntu forums where it belongs.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                              Go troll somewhere else, if you want to fanboy then do it on the Ubuntu forums where it belongs.
                              Obvious butthurt is obvious. Need some vaseline?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X