Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir Display Server Gets A Demo Shell, New Demos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by talvik View Post
    Phoronix should create an article "Myths and the clusterfuck created by Mir/Canonical/"ubuntu press"/ubuntu Fanboys".
    and dampen the famous phoronix flamewars? :-)

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      There are no rationale behind Mir.
      Of course there it. It's just not the one that Shuttleworth and his minions promote publicly. Mir is being developed and released under GPLv3+CLA to ensure that vendors have to pay Canonical to not be bound be the GPLv3 (GPLv3 prohibition is widespread among vendors of embedded systems).
      Same with qt-components-ubuntu and all the other stuff released under GPLv3+CLA.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Of course there it. It's just not the one that Shuttleworth and his minions promote publicly. Mir is being developed and released under GPLv3+CLA to ensure that vendors have to pay Canonical to not be bound be the GPLv3 (GPLv3 prohibition is widespread among vendors of embedded systems).
        Same with qt-components-ubuntu and all the other stuff released under GPLv3+CLA.
        Oh the horror, and the FSF gets copyright assignments from contributors as well,
        http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html !!!!!!!

        Phoronix is a honeypot for idiots, and Michael Larabel is full of snide remarks whenever he is mentioning something about Ubuntu.
        Michael, can you lift the quality of Phoronix?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by barryr View Post
          Oh the horror, and the FSF gets copyright assignments from contributors as well,
          http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html !!!!!!!
          The FSF doesn't sell more permissive licenses to community-contributed, otherwise-GPL-licensed, software, for its own profit.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by barryr View Post
            Oh the horror, and the FSF gets copyright assignments from contributors as well,
            http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html !!!!!!!
            Wayland is no FSF product.

            Originally posted by barryr View Post
            Phoronix is a honeypot for idiots, and Michael Larabel is full of snide remarks whenever he is mentioning something about Ubuntu.
            Feel free to leave Phoronix now.

            Comment


            • #16
              He's right though, the CLA is pretty much irrelevant, it's a non-issue that people who don't understand how the GPL works like to make a huge deal about. The CLA doesn't matter, Canonical cannot close down existing GPL code, they can relicense their CLA:d code - or even dual-license it - but the code already released as GPL will stay GPL. Furthermore, dual-licensing, ie. releasing as GPL and selling a GPL-free version for businesses that want to use the code with proprietary code is an entirely acceptable method of monetizing GPL code, even FSF and Stallman himself have said so.

              There are much better reasons for being against Mir than CLA. Like the fact that it's a crappy, cheap imitation of Wayland, causes fragmentation of the graphics stack, is controlled by one company instead of having an ecosystem of developers around it and doesn't do anything that Wayland can't do.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by daniels View Post
                The FSF doesn't sell more permissive licenses to community-contributed, otherwise-GPL-licensed, software, for its own profit.
                Yeah, and all open source developers work for free... Oh wait....

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  He's right though, the CLA is pretty much irrelevant, it's a non-issue that people who don't understand how the GPL works like to make a huge deal about. The CLA doesn't matter, Canonical cannot close down existing GPL code, they can relicense their CLA:d code - or even dual-license it - but the code already released as GPL will stay GPL. Furthermore, dual-licensing, ie. releasing as GPL and selling a GPL-free version for businesses that want to use the code with proprietary code is an entirely acceptable method of monetizing GPL code, even FSF and Stallman himself have said so.

                  There are much better reasons for being against Mir than CLA. Like the fact that it's a crappy, cheap imitation of Wayland, causes fragmentation of the graphics stack, is controlled by one company instead of having an ecosystem of developers around it and doesn't do anything that Wayland can't do.
                  It's worse for mobile code like this, because the various phone/embedded manufacturers are traditionally allergic to GPL3 code. Meaning that none of their competitors will be able to use Mir on phones of their own - i assume Canonical is telling manufacturers that their code is all proprietary, which they can do since they have the CLA.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    it's a crappy, cheap imitation
                    Crappy and cheap how?
                    is controlled by one company
                    Wayland is mostly controlled by Red Hat / Intel.
                    an ecosystem of developers around it
                    "Linux ecosystem" is a bunch of losers that have miserably failed to achieve any sort of public acceptance. Even Google had to depart from "ecosystem" to make Android a success.
                    and doesn't do anything that Wayland can't do.
                    Wayland has been around since 2008 and has not achieved maturity yet. Mir is a lot younger so cut them some slack.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Mir reminds me on the "Android X server".

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X