Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir Display Server Now Uses XKB Common

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mir Display Server Now Uses XKB Common

    Phoronix: Mir Display Server Now Uses XKB Common

    Similar to Wayland, Mir now is using the xkbcommon library...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1Mzc

  • #2
    Is every fart of the Mir code repository newsworthy?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
      Is every fart of the Mir code repository newsworthy?
      Yes!

      Anywho, will a testing version of Mir and Unity Next land in early daily builds 13.10?
      I'm really looking forward to testing it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Daniel Stone must be carefull about it, if it happens that:
        1) Canonical do not know how XKB works or
        2) Canonical needs to control the project

        XKB will forked. Sorry, it's company policy.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sacridex View Post
          Yes!

          Anywho, will a testing version of Mir and Unity Next land in early daily builds 13.10?
          I'm really looking forward to testing it.
          If you can test Ubuntu for Phones than yes. On desktop it can take some more time.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
            Daniel Stone must be carefull about it, if it happens that:
            1) Canonical do not know how XKB works or
            2) Canonical needs to control the project

            XKB will forked. Sorry, it's company policy.
            I'd probably be pulled from upstream and remain compatible.
            Not everything is done the Canonical Way™

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              Go Mir!! There can be only one!
              And it won't be Mir. As Canonical stated, they develop Mir aimed especially for Unity, so everyone that does not use Unity (like Red Hat or Suse, you know, those companies that actually make money with Linux, unlike Canonical) will rather back up Wayland, since Mir may just break (intentionally or not) for other DEs. No sane company will make use exclusively of a product where they have no say about the development at all, so Wayland is naturally the way to go, not Mir.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                since Mir may just break (intentionally or not) for other DEs. No sane company will make use exclusively of a product where they have no say about the development at all, so Wayland is naturally the way to go, not Mir.
                Orly?
                Let's just assume, Mir will be fucking awesome and will beat the shit out of Wayland:
                Why exactly would anyone NOT use Mir and go for Wayland instead? If Canonical decides to go another direction, Mir can be forked and everyone is still happy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm asking for it one more time - i know that your butts hurt, but stop this (pro|anti)(Mir|Wayland) nonsense. I'm a Ubuntu fan, I'm looking forward for UnityNext and Mir, but that's what happening on this forum (and not only) since Canonical's announcement is ridiculous, childish and pointless. Writing "Wayland" or "Mir" causes a chain reaction of shitstorm. Come on guys, is this the way the OpenSource community behaves?!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sacridex View Post
                    Why exactly would anyone NOT use Mir and go for Wayland instead? If Canonical decides to go another direction, Mir can be forked and everyone is still happy.
                    Because it's not collaboratively developed? Because contributing upstream requires signing contributor license agreement to Canonical that allows them to release it as closed source software? Because it's under L/GPLv3 that cannot be used in some environments? Because even if you fork it you still have to abide to the propietary Mir protocol and you are still stuck with the restrictive L/GPLv3 license (both Gnome and KDE are mostly under L/GPLv2 so they can't use the code from Mir without relicensing)? Because it's not written with other desktop environments in mind (in stark contrast to Wayland that's designed to be supported by multiple compositors)? Because its entire existence is entirely pointless in the first place? Mir will never be the only display server protocol because of the deliberate choises made by Canonical in terms of its licensing and design.

                    Originally posted by sacridex View Post
                    Come on guys, is this the way the OpenSource community behaves?!
                    A large reason why Canonical gets all the shit it gets is because they are incapable of working in collaborative open source environments. Forking projects left and right. Not contributing patches upstream. Abusing their market dominance to create incompatible standards. Taking openly developed code behind closed doors and releasing it back months later with numerous additions without at any point contacting the upstream. Using contributor license agreements... and so on and so forth.
                    Last edited by Teho; 04-17-2013, 09:53 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X