Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Unity Next Running On Mir Display Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu's Unity Next Running On Mir Display Server

    Phoronix: Ubuntu's Unity Next Running On Mir Display Server

    Canonical developers have hit the milestone of being able to run their "Unity Next" desktop atop the Mir Display Server. The work is still very early, but it shows for Ubuntu Touch they can swap out Android's SurfaceFlinger for Mir...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0Mzc

  • #2
    The proof is in the pudding.

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu's Unity Next Running On Mir Display Server

    Canonical developers have hit the milestone of being able to run their "Unity Next" desktop atop the Mir Display Server. The work is still very early, but it shows for Ubuntu Touch they can swap out Android's SurfaceFlinger for Mir...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0Mzc
    As long as they can produce results, who's to say they're not moving in the right direction?

    Comment


    • #3
      WTF? The Mir I tried doesn't even seem to support cursors or keyboard input. All the keyboard input that I type into a Mir server goes straight through the tty, and launches all windows at 0,0!

      I wonder if they're doing something funky like xmir or something

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
        WTF? The Mir I tried doesn't even seem to support cursors or keyboard input. All the keyboard input that I type into a Mir server goes straight through the tty, and launches all windows at 0,0!

        I wonder if they're doing something funky like xmir or something
        Or possibly have a bunch of changes not yet committed to a public repo...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Mir will kick wayland's ass like a boss!
          They got a lot of work left to do before theyre even at the same level of functionality as Wayland.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
            I wonder if they're doing something funky like xmir or something
            I think that's exactly what's going on. They're just running everything on X, and piping that image on top of Mir.

            Comment


            • #7
              This actually isn't particularly new; Mir has been (mostly) able to replace SurfaceFlinger for months, I think. What is new is the use of the HWC 1.1 API, for better vsync, overlays, etc.

              That'd be using qmir, the Mir Qt backend. I'm not sure what branch you'd need to replicate that, but I'd expect it to be public. Maybe it's https://code.launchpad.net/~rocket-s...untu-mirserver.

              Comment


              • #8
                Desktop Unity Next

                Hello,

                when will the first desktop version of Unity Next be released for testing? Anytime soon?
                I am really looking forward to this!

                Comment


                • #9
                  The cons:
                  1. This demo is using Mir for composition. Don't mix that up with being the display server.
                  2. If I were to write a compositor (or display server) that can handle client applications, the first thing I would definetely demo is the ability to open some windows and interact with them. The fact that this is not demonstrated here means that it is (probably) not yet working. In the end, I don't think this is a lot to show.

                  The pros:
                  1. They did show something. Even if not much, and it didn't take long after the initial announcement. This might mean they have a good pace (though given this is their first demo and that they've been working on Mir for many months now, we will only know definetely if we observe the future frequency of such updates).
                  2. They showed something not on desktop, but on mobile. For me, this means they're integrating mobile support as a first-class citizen, which with time could easily become a real advantage.

                  Time will tell if Mir is a good or bad thing.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ultimA View Post
                    [...]
                    2. They showed something not on desktop, but on mobile. For me, this means they're integrating mobile support as a first-class citizen, which with time could easily become a real advantage.
                    [...]

                    Mir on Android is First-Class citizen. On desktop its Second-Class :P

                    Since Mir heavily relay on Surface code base, Canonical had head-start on mobile.

                    And Mir is DISPLAY SERVER, if it run without SurfaceFinger than it's doing work of display server too.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                      WTF? The Mir I tried doesn't even seem to support cursors or keyboard input. All the keyboard input that I type into a Mir server goes straight through the tty, and launches all windows at 0,0!

                      I wonder if they're doing something funky like xmir or something
                      Keyboard input: https://code.launchpad.net/~robertca.../+merge/155368

                      No cursor support yet I think, however they don't claim something like that either.
                      Isn't placing windows a job for the shell, not for the display server?
                      And as Unity next still is phablet only no window placing have been done yet.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ultimA View Post
                        The cons:
                        1. This demo is using Mir for composition. Don't mix that up with being the display server.
                        2. If I were to write a compositor (or display server) that can handle client applications, the first thing I would definetely demo is the ability to open some windows and interact with them. The fact that this is not demonstrated here means that it is (probably) not yet working. In the end, I don't think this is a lot to show.

                        The pros:
                        1. They did show something. Even if not much, and it didn't take long after the initial announcement. This might mean they have a good pace (though given this is their first demo and that they've been working on Mir for many months now, we will only know definetely if we observe the future frequency of such updates).
                        2. They showed something not on desktop, but on mobile. For me, this means they're integrating mobile support as a first-class citizen, which with time could easily become a real advantage.

                        Time will tell if Mir is a good or bad thing.
                        I'm not sure why you're trying to read tea-leaves here; Mir is (now, finally) developed in the open. You can read our blueprints on Launchpad. You can read the code and merge requests. You can run it on your system. There's really no reason to try to read deeply into the videos posted by Mir developers of their code doing something cool. You could just find out

                        It's also not our first demo? I demoed XMir+LightDM+mir-system-compositor on Intel and ATI a couple of months ago. But that's fairly boring, because it looks just like a regular X session.

                        Originally posted by przemoli
                        Since Mir heavily relay on Surface code base, Canonical had head-start on mobile.
                        Um, what? There's no SurfaceFlinger code in Mir. We do have a fork of some of the Android input stack in there, but that's going to be used on the desktop too.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                          Mir will kick wayland's ass like a boss!
                          After reading nvidia's slides about porting games to Linux I think it's quite possible. They stated it's much easier to port games to Android when you port them to Linux first. While MIR supports Android drivers it seems to be a logical choice to focus on it. Personally I prefer Wayland, but practically I think MIR will be more important.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tacco
                            Mir is running great!!!!!Probably Wayland will suck! Wayland, is it a watse of time? Nothing happened! Please Wayland, shout down!!!!!!!!
                            I really hope you are just trolling, because words cannot describe the idiocy of this post.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                              I really hope you are just trolling, because words cannot describe the idiocy of this post.
                              Like all trolls, they very often make little sense. You often end up with incoherent twat babble.

                              Maybe Mir will gain traction, who knows. I just know Conanical's track record doesn't favor their ambition at all. So until we arrive lets not jump off the train.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X