Intel GMA 4-Series Support On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
    If it's feasible for you, I'd definitely recommend going with intel or amd for your next gpu, due to the whole FOSS drivers/specs thing for one, and yes-- I have had problems with my geforce 8400m gs. I applied a bios update, and it's been stable since, but I haven't stress tested it yet-- I should do that soon. Good old nexuiz

Also, If I recall correctly, the X4500 is /already/ brilliantly supported under Ubuntu Intrepid and such.
    I hope centrino 2 isn't expensive just because it's new, I'd certainly go with it-- intel is amazing with all their drivers, none of this broadcom wireless or creative sound garbage.
    Heat problems with the 8400m GS? I read info from Notebook forums and supposedly, the 'fix' is a BIOS update. But, a point was made that the defect is hardware and so how is software going to fix it? I think that makes sense. I would not be surprised if Nvidia and the laptop manufacturers have a joint recall and offer to fix the problem by a modification in the computer. Already, on one of the notebook forums, there are posts of people creating their own 'fix' by sticking copper and thermal paste onto the nvidia chip.

I don't like options being limited and doing your own repair is something I wouldn't mind doing after owning the laptop for some number of years. But, I don't think it's something I want to do on a brand new laptop I just bought. That's why I was thinking of waiting for the new generation to come out but I'm concerned about pricing for those.

I don't game but I might want the option of using 2D and 3D graphics (Compiz, Editing photos, Photoshop-like programs, Gimp etc. etc.).

Comment

Working...
    X