Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Developers Continue Work On The Weston RandR Protocol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Developers Continue Work On The Weston RandR Protocol

    Phoronix: Intel Developers Continue Work On The Weston RandR Protocol

    Intel developers continue experimenting with a Resize and Rotate protocol extension for Wayland's Weston compositor that was originally designed for the X.Org Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY1ODU

  • #2
    There was supposed to be created a "clipping and scaling" extension according to Pekka Paalanen, is RandR _that_ extension and if not what's the difference.

    ..The following are not provided by sub-surfaces:
    ...
    Clipping or scaling. The buffer you attach to a sub-surface will decide the size of the sub-surface. There is another extension coming for clipping and scaling.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm very interested in this, I've got my computers hooked up to a HDTV (as opposed to a monitor), and that results in underscan/overscan problems.

      The only way I've found of correcting this in a standard distro is with xrandr settings.

      I've successfully installed Weston without Xorg on a new Arch install, but it's effectively useless because of my overscan problem, so I can't see anything useful, like the taskbar, and given that xrandr isn't available, because not having Xorg is kinda the point, I don't have a viable way of running anything Wayland related. I'd like a solution to this that doesn't involve buying a monitor or a new TV.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        I'm very interested in this, I've got my computers hooked up to a HDTV (as opposed to a monitor), and that results in underscan/overscan problems.

        The only way I've found of correcting this in a standard distro is with xrandr settings.

        I've successfully installed Weston without Xorg on a new Arch install, but it's effectively useless because of my overscan problem, so I can't see anything useful, like the taskbar, and given that xrandr isn't available, because not having Xorg is kinda the point, I don't have a viable way of running anything Wayland related. I'd like a solution to this that doesn't involve buying a monitor or a new TV.
        In my understanding, the extension will be shell accessible, but not end-user accessible (or only through a shell API, or shell application), for security and access control reason.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by erendorn View Post
          In my understanding, the extension will be shell accessible, but not end-user accessible (or only through a shell API, or shell application), for security and access control reason.
          What about root access?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            I'm very interested in this, I've got my computers hooked up to a HDTV (as opposed to a monitor), and that results in underscan/overscan problems.
            I usualy manage to disable overscan on the TV. IMO it's a much cleaner solution. Usually it's in the aspect ratio menu, under some weird name (like point for point). I understand the historical reasons for overscan, but it should've been killed a couple of years ago.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rudregues View Post
              What about root access?
              quite possible, but no idea.

              Comment


              • #8
                Another user voices their need for "drmrandr": set overscan in the terminal, have proper view of a tty, and settings inherited to any X/wayland sessions.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                  I usualy manage to disable overscan on the TV. IMO it's a much cleaner solution. Usually it's in the aspect ratio menu, under some weird name (like point for point). I understand the historical reasons for overscan, but it should've been killed a couple of years ago.
                  should've, but hasn't. there are a lot of TVs where you just cannot disable overscan no matter what you do.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X