Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Iris Graphics 5100: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.04 Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    I have still problems on getting a valid corresponding of a simple program as paint which makes easy operations in easy way (as resizing on cutting picture), it's absurd.
    I recommend mtPaint.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by DanL View Post
      @Michael:
      I'd love to see a good article comparing VA-API usage on the different Haswell GPU's (even if it's just a subjective opinion devoid of PTS benchmarks and Windows comparison). All of these articles on Intel HD graphics just have 3D/game benchmarks which don't paint a very clear picture for prospective buyers looking at HTPC-friendly hardware.

      In addition to GT1, GT2,and GT3/e chips, it would be nice to have your NUC unit and an IvyBridge chip thrown in to the review.
      Tests will only be done if within PTS. It can be automated and have such test profiles already but only with poor quality video files.... Not enough good very high quality free videos that are http/FTP mirrored well, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Tests will only be done if within PTS. It can be automated and have such test profiles already but only with poor quality video files.... Not enough good very high quality free videos that are http/FTP mirrored well, etc.
        Wouldn't the Blender movie projects work? I know most of them are mirrored all over the place. I just checked Sintel and it has 3 mirrors off the main site for the 4k version.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by zanny View Post
          Wouldn't the Blender movie projects work? I know most of them are mirrored all over the place. I just checked Sintel and it has 3 mirrors off the main site for the 4k version.
          I used to use big buck bunny but ran into a problem with it and it's mirrors. Trying to recall now.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #20
            Michael, I think it will be useful to provide benchmark results, using Lubuntu, or Xubuntu with its compositor (special effects) disabled.

            To disable the compositor in Xubuntu, you may go to Settings->Settings Manager->Window Manager Tweaks->Compositor->Enable display compositing.

            From my experience, one gets the maximum framerate with LXDE and XFCE (with the compositor disabled), on Linux.

            Compiz of Unity, etc, reduce performance.

            Also, by uninstalling, or disabling buntu's apport (crash reporting tool), programs start faster, and probably run faster.

            To disable apport:

            sudo nano /etc/default/apport:

            enabled=0

            and then, reboot.

            So, I think some benchmarks with Lubuntu, or Xubuntu (with the compositor disabled), would be interesting.
            Last edited by johnp; 03-14-2014, 03:32 PM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by johnp View Post
              Michael, I think it will be useful to provide benchmark results, using Lubuntu, or Xubuntu with its compositor (special effects) disabled.

              To disable the compositor in Xubuntu, you may go to Settings->Settings Manager->Window Manager Tweaks->Compositor->Enable display compositing.

              From my experience, one gets the maximum framerate with LXDE and XFCE (with the compositor disabled), on Linux.

              Compiz of Unity, etc, reduce performance.

              Also, by uninstalling, or disabling buntu's apport (crash reporting tool), programs start faster, and probably run faster.

              To disable apport:

              sudo nano /etc/default/apport:

              enabled=0

              and then, reboot.

              So, I think some benchmarks with Lubuntu, or Xubuntu (with the compositor disabled), would be interesting.
              See the 6 way benchmarks from earlier in the week.... Unity and compiz no longer have the overhead they once did.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                See the 6 way benchmarks from earlier in the week.... Unity and compiz no longer have the overhead they once did.
                But is still open question - how intel os drivers work on other distros (other kernel&xorg&sof compilation and configuration)?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by anemusek View Post
                  But is still open question - how intel os drivers work on other distros (other kernel&xorg&sof compilation and configuration)?
                  How come "Intel Haswell HD Graphics 4400 Are Great" but HD Graphics 4600 aren't? What's so different? Also, has there been any benchmarks/comparisons of Intel graphics with AMD APU?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    How come "Intel Haswell HD Graphics 4400 Are Great" but HD Graphics 4600 aren't? What's so different? ....
                    Memory? Too fast to be faster ;P

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X