Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel GMA500 Poulsbo Driver Finally Works Towards 2D

Phoronix: Intel GMA500 Poulsbo Driver Finally Works Towards 2D

The open-source Intel GMA500 "Poulsbo" DRM driver that supports Atom SoCs with PowerVR graphics, which long has only provided basic kernel mode-setting support via the community-made driver, is finally close to having 2D acceleration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, you forgot the #bloodymess

Comment

That's nice. Too bad I won't get to enjoy it...
      According to my calculations, though, in 2 years my current stylus will probably break again, and thus perhaps warrant an upgrade to something that's worthwhile for running Linux on.

Comment

prey and repent, cause the end of times is near

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Michael, you forgot the #bloodymess
        You anticipated me.
        Seeing the first Poulsbo driver article in ages not having bloodymess in the title made me cringe.

Comment

I placed a special order through a corporate dealer for a Panasonic Toughbook CF-U1 back in 2008. I saw there were some companies out there selling them with Linux pre-installed, and having no clue there were good Intel chips and bad Intel chips, thought it would be supported.

Boy, was I wrong.

At this point, that $2800 hardware has mostly sat in a box for those 5+ years. I keep thinking the support situation is gonna get better, and I'll be able to use it as a robot controller or something, but it needs to work out of the box, as I honestly don't have the patience or desire to screw around with patching and building my own kernels any more.

Maybe by the time it's 10 years old and all the capacitors are dead, it will finally work with Linux

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
            At this point, that $2800 hardware has mostly sat in a box for those 5+ years. I keep thinking the support situation is gonna get better, and I'll be able to use it as a robot controller or something, but it needs to work out of the box, as I honestly don't have the patience or desire to screw around with patching and building my own kernels any more.

Maybe by the time it's 10 years old and all the capacitors are dead, it will finally work with Linux
            Make it a headless server, it even has its own UPS backup

Comment

Just like to point out that this is also targeted at Oaktrail / Moorestown and Cedarview, which might be platforms people still care about. It might also apply to Merryfield when it's released.

Comment

Originally posted by patrik View Post
                Just like to point out that this is also targeted at Oaktrail / Moorestown and Cedarview, which might be platforms people still care about. It might also apply to Merryfield when it's released.
                I doubt it will apply to Merrifield. The sources that said it would have PowerVR graphics seem to be dated, Intel most likely changed their minds after that.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  I doubt it will apply to Merrifield. The sources that said it would have PowerVR graphics seem to be dated, Intel most likely changed their minds after that.
                  I really hope that you're right. But I'm not convinced just yet.

Comment

I wonder if the reverse engineering and work being done on the Atom stuff will help the ARM SoCs that have the same PowerVR core...

Comment

Working...
                    X