Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Starts On Mesa Compute Shaders Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Starts On Mesa Compute Shaders Support

    Phoronix: Intel Starts On Mesa Compute Shaders Support

    Paul Berry at Intel has published his mega set of 30 patches for Mesa that are very exciting as they work to start implementing compute shaders support inside Mesa...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2Njk

  • #2
    What is the reason to implement CS ( GL 4.3 fature ), when tessalation and other type of shaders still missing from Mesa's GL 4.0?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Drago View Post
      What is the reason to implement CS ( GL 4.3 fature ), when tessalation and other type of shaders still missing from Mesa's GL 4.0?
      Because it will have to be done sooner or later?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Drago View Post
        What is the reason to implement CS ( GL 4.3 fature ), when tessalation and other type of shaders still missing from Mesa's GL 4.0?
        I'm not 100% sure, but it probably has something to do with OpenGL ES 4.0 supporting compute shaders. You know, the tablet/phone market Intel is focusing on lately.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wargames View Post
          I'm not 100% sure, but it probably has something to do with OpenGL ES 4.0 supporting compute shaders. You know, the tablet/phone market Intel is focusing on lately.
          This. Khronos announced that OpenGL ES 4.0 will support compute shaders, but NOT geometry shaders or tesselation...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            This. Khronos announced that OpenGL ES 4.0 will support compute shaders, but NOT geometry shaders or tesselation...
            I guess, this answers my question.

            Comment


            • #7
              It would be weird if we got 4.3 compute shaders before any working opencl in mesa.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by zanny View Post
                It would be weird if we got 4.3 compute shaders before any working opencl in mesa.
                sounds a bit like a feature intel needs for its own stuff without making AMD have too much profit - for now (unlike glamor or OpenCL - if they did)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  sounds a bit like a feature intel needs for its own stuff without making AMD have too much profit - for now (unlike glamor or OpenCL - if they did)
                  I don't think a Mesa with working radeon opencl would be a huge profit center for AMD.

                  I mean a full foss compute stack with beefy hardware like AMD cards would be amazing, but I don't know if the server industry would eat it up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If it gave the coin miners +0.5% more hashrate, you bet they would use it.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X