Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Pro 5200: Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu Linux Redux

Phoronix: Intel Iris Pro 5200: Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu Linux Redux

Earlier this month I published benchmarks of Intel's Iris Pro 5200 graphics when comparing the Intel driver performance between Windows 8 and Ubuntu Linux. The test results found that there were some performance wins for Intel OpenGL on Linux after the very latest open-source driver optimizations were made, but there are still some losses. In this article are a few more Windows 8 vs. Linux benchmark results for the Haswell Ultrabook with Iris Pro graphics.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19150

Wow, the level of parity is remarkable - I'm so glad I upgraded my desktop to a Haswell system

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
      Wow, the level of parity is remarkable - I'm so glad I upgraded my desktop to a Haswell system
      Its not bad. I kinda wish it was closer with the newer workloads/games (ie: Unigine demo), but its pretty damn good.

Comment

I'd try kernel 3.12-rc which has eDRAM support for Iris Pro

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          Its not bad. I kinda wish it was closer with the newer workloads/games (ie: Unigine demo), but its pretty damn good.
          Yeah, look at the normalized results:

http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...dows+8+Pro+x64

The most favorable results show linux 75% faster, and the least favorable show windows 25% faster. I don't think you can ever have perfect parity, but clearly, Intel Open Source drivers are first class citizens ...

Comment

Will windows bloat affect these results at all?

Say the win8 driver is faster, but win8 has bloat so its a bit slower.. but still a competative overall.
            Is/could this be happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
              Will windows bloat affect these results at all?

Say the win8 driver is faster, but win8 has bloat so its a bit slower.. but still a competative overall.
              Is/could this be happening?
              What "bloat" does win8 have? What are you on about?
              Yes many do not like win8 because of metro and all, but under-the-hood, win8 is superior to win7 in terms of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                What "bloat" does win8 have? What are you on about?
                Yes many do not like win8 because of metro and all, but under-the-hood, win8 is superior to win7 in terms of performance.
                spyware, malware, antivirus and all of that useless stuff that runs in background.

Comment

tl;dr: As long as you don't hit into an OpenGL 3.2 or higher feature, Linux is on par with Windows, and can be even faster.

Amazing.

Comment

Why only Ubuntu? Iwant Arch or Manjaro too

You asked which distros would we ike to be benchmarked too?
                    i think it would be easy to add Manjaro RR but with versions or builds or Sabayon or Fedora
                    Even 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu

deb + rpm + Arch + Gentoo are rhe 4 big branches and it seems only deb does exist here

No need for HDD Multisystem at a any big USB3 pendrive with a
                    Manjaro ISO
                    Sabayon ISO
                    Ubuntu ISO
                    Suse ISO

And install and run the Phoronix suite from other USB3 at each Live ISO

Comment

Working...
                    X