Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Iris Pro 5200: Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu Linux Redux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Iris Pro 5200: Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu Linux Redux

    Phoronix: Intel Iris Pro 5200: Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu Linux Redux

    Earlier this month I published benchmarks of Intel's Iris Pro 5200 graphics when comparing the Intel driver performance between Windows 8 and Ubuntu Linux. The test results found that there were some performance wins for Intel OpenGL on Linux after the very latest open-source driver optimizations were made, but there are still some losses. In this article are a few more Windows 8 vs. Linux benchmark results for the Haswell Ultrabook with Iris Pro graphics.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19150

  • #2
    Wow, the level of parity is remarkable - I'm so glad I upgraded my desktop to a Haswell system

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mendieta View Post
      Wow, the level of parity is remarkable - I'm so glad I upgraded my desktop to a Haswell system
      Its not bad. I kinda wish it was closer with the newer workloads/games (ie: Unigine demo), but its pretty damn good.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd try kernel 3.12-rc which has eDRAM support for Iris Pro

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          Its not bad. I kinda wish it was closer with the newer workloads/games (ie: Unigine demo), but its pretty damn good.
          Yeah, look at the normalized results:

          http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...dows+8+Pro+x64

          The most favorable results show linux 75% faster, and the least favorable show windows 25% faster. I don't think you can ever have perfect parity, but clearly, Intel Open Source drivers are first class citizens ...

          Comment


          • #6
            Will windows bloat affect these results at all?

            Say the win8 driver is faster, but win8 has bloat so its a bit slower.. but still a competative overall.
            Is/could this be happening?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Caledar View Post
              Will windows bloat affect these results at all?

              Say the win8 driver is faster, but win8 has bloat so its a bit slower.. but still a competative overall.
              Is/could this be happening?
              What "bloat" does win8 have? What are you on about?
              Yes many do not like win8 because of metro and all, but under-the-hood, win8 is superior to win7 in terms of performance.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                What "bloat" does win8 have? What are you on about?
                Yes many do not like win8 because of metro and all, but under-the-hood, win8 is superior to win7 in terms of performance.
                spyware, malware, antivirus and all of that useless stuff that runs in background.

                Comment


                • #9
                  tl;dr: As long as you don't hit into an OpenGL 3.2 or higher feature, Linux is on par with Windows, and can be even faster.

                  Amazing.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why only Ubuntu? Iwant Arch or Manjaro too

                    You asked which distros would we ike to be benchmarked too?
                    i think it would be easy to add Manjaro RR but with versions or builds or Sabayon or Fedora
                    Even 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu

                    deb + rpm + Arch + Gentoo are rhe 4 big branches and it seems only deb does exist here

                    No need for HDD Multisystem at a any big USB3 pendrive with a
                    Manjaro ISO
                    Sabayon ISO
                    Ubuntu ISO
                    Suse ISO

                    And install and run the Phoronix suite from other USB3 at each Live ISO

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X