No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Driver Performance Still Slower Than Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Michael: i think you're missing the purpose of latency benchmarking. It's not only to have a average reading, but what matters most is how many, how frequent and the severity of the frame spikes, because that's the major cause of "perceived lagging"(beyond networking), usually a slightly slower frame average but with a much more stable frame latency is preferable over an inflated fps average with lots of spikes(like we see on this review, windows have It worse.)
    This is also why I prefer to play LoL on Linux even if the avg on windows is way higher.. I have frame latency problems even with VSync on and an apparent rock-solid 60fps

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Ubuntu is the only distribution with usable font rendering.
      well i use gentoo without infinality and even so i find my fonts rendered perfectly fine even on my 26" DVI 1080p LG super IPS panel and my crappy hdmi TV, what exactly you mean by "usable font"? sure im not a graphical designer but you make it sound like outside ubuntu you can't read text.

i use KDE 4.11 and Qt4 AA the fonts since ages ago maybe this hide the issues you speak?

i would like if you can provide some comparison or a more detailed info on this, is legitimate curiosity i just never payed that much attention to improve fonts

Comment

well emerged freetype with all the whistles like adobe-cff autohinter and inifinality and well very small text in firefox seems bit better and opera improved a bit too but is nothing life changing for non graphical designers i guess.

in KDE is almost unnoticeable unless you take a picture and zooms a loot, i guess KDE subpixel optimization were having some effect

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Ubuntu is the only distribution with usable font rendering.
          Install infinality patchset for freetype or use ubuntus freetype patches on other distros.

Problem solved.

Ubuntu is in no way easier to intsall and use than other distros. That's only coming from people who never dared to try anything else.

I agree that Michael should benchmark on Fedora 19. I use Arch myself, but Fedora might be a better testbed. Pretty much everything other distros use is developed by Redhat anyway. It might be the best bleeding-edge but still somehow curated distro. It's very easy to install for the average person to. I also agree that the best installer is from openSUSE. It's nice and organized but still let's you change a lot of thing the way you like it.
          Last edited by blackout23; 20 July 2013, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            It is slowly deprecating itself out. Unity, Mir, and others, Ubuntu is becoming it's own unique enclave.

Phoronix should recognize this and stop benchmarking with Ubuntu.

Or, stop calling Phoronix a Linux website - and start calling Phoronix an Ubuntu website.

And before the flames come my way, I'm not trying to ostracise Ubuntu. Ubuntu is ostracizing Ubuntu. I'm just recognizing it. They don't want to be with us. It is what it is.
            Meanwhile: *buntus are still the best compromise around. You can always use Xubuntu and disable compositing, you know.

To the post above: Fedora isn't better either in terms of gaming peformance. The DE/WM does it, not the distro.

Comment

Yes, please stop using Ubuntu. It's getting more and more meaningless to use Ubuntu to test Linux performance. Use a proper Linux distribution like Fedora or openSUSE.

Comment

Definitely

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                It is slowly deprecating itself out. Unity, Mir, and others, Ubuntu is becoming it's own unique enclave.

Phoronix should recognize this and stop benchmarking with Ubuntu.

Or, stop calling Phoronix a Linux website - and start calling Phoronix an Ubuntu website.

And before the flames come my way, I'm not trying to ostracise Ubuntu. Ubuntu is ostracizing Ubuntu. I'm just recognizing it. They don't want to be with us. It is what it is.
                I couldn't agree more!

Michael should use Arch, Gentoo or something else closer to GNU/Linux instead.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                  The testing used xorg not xmir, as stated on the first page... And according to previous benchmarks the performance of Unity is similar to the other desktop environments. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM5MzY
                  In the first page I see:
                  On the Linux side, Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64 was tested in its current development state with the Linux 3.10 kernel and Mesa 9.1.4.
                  Plus the fact that (in a previous article) canonical will use XMir for the 13.10 for the open driver with a fallback in case you install the binary blob.
                  If canonical has decided to push XMir for the 13.10 release then it is pretty obvious that they need to test it and so turn it on in the dev snapshot, isn't it?
                  The last time I checked, intel provide open source driver only, so how can you sure that ubuntu 13.10 dev on intel driver do not use XMir?
                  There is an easy way to be sure: drop ubuntu for the graphic drivers testing purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Meanwhile: *buntus are still the best compromise around. You can always use Xubuntu and disable compositing, you know.

To the post above: Fedora isn't better either in terms of gaming peformance. The DE/WM does it, not the distro.
                    It's not about the performance. It's about testing it on bleeding edge vanilla Linux. Ubuntu isn't bleeding edge, nor vanilla and is increasingly different from the Linux ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      It's not about the performance. It's about testing it on bleeding edge vanilla Linux. Ubuntu isn't bleeding edge, nor vanilla and is increasingly different from the Linux ecosystem.

I've used it once, but generally I prefer stable stuff, unless it's a program that has Opus support, or supports WebRTC.

Comment

Working...
                      X