Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Driver Performance Still Slower Than Windows 7

Phoronix: Intel Linux Driver Performance Still Slower Than Windows 7

Benchmarks published this week on Phoronix showed that Ubuntu 13.10 can outperform Apple OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" with regard to OpenGL performance. However, when compared to Microsoft Windows, the open-source Intel Linux driver continues to come up short.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18933

Stop using ubuntu to test the drivers.
    It was already proved that Xmir reduce the performance, then why you still use the worst DE for testing the drivers?

Comment

lol

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      It was already proved that Xmir reduce the performance, then why you still use the worst DE for testing the drivers?
      maybe because is the future?!

until brings all features like windows mesa drivers will be a "little" worst than windows. the evolution says Mesa intel needs one more year to catch up windows on perfomance

Comment

In looking at the OpenGL frame latency, Ubuntu Linux required more time to prepare each frame than Microsoft Windows 7.
        Would using straight Mir or Wayland increase the performance at all? I was thinking that maybe they would require less time to prepare/render each frame than X.org

Comment

Ubuntu does not want to be Linux

It is slowly deprecating itself out. Unity, Mir, and others, Ubuntu is becoming it's own unique enclave.

Phoronix should recognize this and stop benchmarking with Ubuntu.

Or, stop calling Phoronix a Linux website - and start calling Phoronix an Ubuntu website.

And before the flames come my way, I'm not trying to ostracise Ubuntu. Ubuntu is ostracizing Ubuntu. I'm just recognizing it. They don't want to be with us. It is what it is.
          Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 07-19-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

that why i use W7

i'm joking... i use Win8. XD

I don't want to be part of that world where ubuntu is te future XD.#2

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
              The testing used xorg not xmir, as stated on the first page... And according to previous benchmarks the performance of Unity is similar to the other desktop environments. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM5MzY

Comment

Minecraft runs faster on ubuntu 12.04 than on windows 7 using intel i5 2410M 2.3ghz and the intergrated gpu .
                Same experience on an older computer (ubuntu 10.04 vs win xp) using a pentium4 3ghz Nvidia geforce 4200Ti
                I think its a windows or java problem.
                At least its faster at something then windows xD
                Last edited by Caledar; 07-19-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                  It is slowly deprecating itself out. Unity, Mir, and others, Ubuntu is becoming it's own unique enclave.

Phoronix should recognize this and stop benchmarking with Ubuntu.

Or, stop calling Phoronix a Linux website - and start calling Phoronix an Ubuntu website.

And before the flames come my way, I'm not trying to ostracise Ubuntu. Ubuntu is ostracizing Ubuntu. I'm just recognizing it. They don't want to be with us. It is what it is.

Phoronix must start using the most advanced real Linux destro -=Fedora=-. As they have a GPU-drivers PPA (debian), they must have another for Fedora (rpm).

Comment

Isn't Ubuntu much more user-friendly both to install and use than other distros? GNOME-buntu here . The reason I use Ubuntu's because I know that most other computer illiterate people will prefer it. I do use MATE 1.4 btw.(1.6 sucks)

Comment

Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
                      Isn't Ubuntu much more user-friendly both to install and use than other distros? GNOME-buntu here . The reason I use Ubuntu's because I know that most other computer illiterate people will prefer it. I do use MATE 1.4 btw.(1.6 sucks)
                      The short answer is no.

The long answer is that openSUSE has the best OS installer I've ever seen, Fedora has been and is easy to install, and Maegia is easy to install, and the same goes for pretty much any distro under the sun except for Debian, Gentoo, and Arch which is more a matter of having to RTFM more than anything.

As far as usage goes again it's not really true, the only two things that Ubuntu has going for it is it's custom package manager (which to be perfectly honest I don't care for) and Jockey which will automatically detect and ask you to install proprietary drivers. Now on the other paw Fedora has the system-config-* set which provides a nice GUI for system adminstration tasks however there's no easy tool for installing proprietary drivers which will never happen for Fedora anyway as it's again their code. openSUSE has YaST which like the system-config-* set make administration tasks relatively trivial if you don't want to play around with config files, and the openSUSE guide has a one-click installer for your proprietary drivers. Maegia again has it's own configuration tools but it does have a tool for proprietary drivers.

For all of the major distros that have commercial backers and thus can be targeted by MPEG-LA and co installing the multimedia codecs needs to be done manually it is worth noting that openSUSE has a one-click for this. As well Flash is an automatic recommended package to install the first time you run the YaST package manager module.

As far as # of Packages go as it's debian based Ubuntu has a lot of packages available to it, Fedora has a lot less however it has the ones that matter to me (I can't comment on your usage case without knowing what programs you use) between the official repos and RPMFusion, and openSUSE has the OBS which puts it close to debian in # of packages available, all available by easy one click installs and unlike any other binary distro it doesn't have the problem of repo version bouncing causing compatibility breaks due to Zypper having the concept of vendors.
                      Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 07-19-2013, 08:01 PM.

Comment

well years ago was but now they are almost the same except advanced distros like arch and gentoo, opensuse and fedora almost install itself like any ubuntu and both are really easy to use.

you have other easy options like chakra or mint and some more that are really easy to use too, basically is a myth that ubuntu is any easier than any other distro since most of those changes actually came from upstream not from canonical.

btw prolly after my post will come some guy named bo$$ saying "LOL fedora uses console only jajajaja you need 3 PhD to install opensuse ubuntu is bla bla bla" who is an known fanboi troll so ignore it and go and experiment a bit, you will find out most distros are very easy and friendly with very responsive support communities
                        Last edited by jrch2k8; 07-19-2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Ubuntu is the only distribution with usable font rendering.

Comment

No, not at all, although that's something Ubuntu users frequently claim.

It's much easier than something like Arch, Debian, or Gentoo. Not any easier than Fedora, OpenSuse, or other like distros.

Comment

Font Rendering

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                              Ubuntu is the only distribution with usable font rendering.
                              By default, yes. However, Fedora with the Infinality patches has the best fonts I've ever used on any OS.

Give it a try: http://www.infinality.net/blog/infin...etype-patches/

It has a bunch of different options you can set, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X