Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judgement day

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    Yeah, Unity is such a _huge_ bottleneck: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM5MzY
    Granted.

I should've been clearer and went too specific: Michael should compare Ubuntu's overall performance with another distribution.

Beforehand, we'll have to wait for judgement day.
    Comparing various DE's running _on top of_ Ubuntu doesn't make sense. In my opinion, Ubuntu itself is the problem.

It may be very popular, but it's a mess.
    Last edited by frign; 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      Granted.

I should've been clearer and went too specific: Michael should compare Ubuntu's overall performance with another distribution.

Beforehand, we'll have to wait for judgement day.
      Comparing various DE's running _on top of_ Ubuntu doesn't make sense. In my opinion, Ubuntu itself is the problem.
      The distribution does not make a huge difference, really all they do is compile the underlying software. That is where the changes appear. See the recent 16-Way Linux OS Performance Comparison, the benchmark results are mostly similar across distributions although there are some obvious problems with some (what is going on with PostMark on BSD?? And Nexuiz on Debian?).

Comment

Linux Experience Better

While in OpenArena and Unvanquished, Windows had a slightly higher FPS than Linux, its max latency was higher than Linux's, thus you would actually have a better experience using Linux. I would consider this scenario to be win for Linux even though the numbers show a "loss".

Comment

Working...
        X