Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Haswell-Based Apple MacBook Air, HD 5000 Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Haswell-Based Apple MacBook Air, HD 5000 Benchmarks

    Phoronix: Intel Haswell-Based Apple MacBook Air, HD 5000 Benchmarks

    Earlier this week at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, the refreshed MacBook Air laptops were released and based upon Intel's new Haswell processors. The brand new 11-inch Apple MacBook Air with the beautiful Core i5 Haswell CPU and Intel HD Graphics 5000 GPU is already within the Phoronix labs and being benchmarked...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4OTc

  • #2
    I bet on halved battery life on Linux, as usual... Apple hardware is usually meh at Linux.

    Comment


    • #3
      What kind of feline is "mavericks"? Did Apple finally run out of cats?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by curaga View Post
        What kind of feline is "mavericks"? Did Apple finally run out of cats?
        I think its a surf spot in California or something. No more felidae AFAIK

        Comment


        • #5
          Is that os compatible to:
          Core i7 4770K - HD Graphics 4600

          I've ordered that for my PC update, hence my curiosity...
          Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Hmm hd5000, thats gt3. Same speeds as bigger brother gt3e, wich has eDRAM and is quite fast.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
              Hmm hd5000, thats gt3. Same speeds as bigger brother gt3e, wich has eDRAM and is quite fast.
              No dedicated memory, though, which is probably a huge hit on a lot of workloads. I don't think i've seen any benchmarks of the plain 5000 chips.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                No dedicated memory, though, which is probably a huge hit on a lot of workloads. I don't think i've seen any benchmarks of the plain 5000 chips.
                Well not quite good review, but something:
                http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H...0.91978.0.html

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                  Well not quite good review, but something:
                  http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H...0.91978.0.html
                  Interesting, that shows it as fairly comparable to Trinity, which sounds about right from what i would expect.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So wheres the A10-6800K review? All I'm seeing is this super biased Intel fellatio going on day after day after day here. By now Larabel can probably suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Interesting, that shows it as fairly comparable to Trinity, which sounds about right from what i would expect.
                      Not really, the top end iGPU currently on the market is found in the $150 AMD A10-6800K, the Intel i7 4770K runs $350, a $200 increase for a slower GPU and a marginally better CPU for any task where you would want to use the integrated GPU.

                      Furthermore you lose VT-D support for VM GPU pass through on the 4770K because Intel intentionally neuters their CPUs capabilities to create a false segmentation of the market.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                        Not really, the top end iGPU currently on the market is found in the $150 AMD A10-6800K, the Intel i7 4770K runs $350, a $200 increase for a slower GPU and a marginally better CPU for any task where you would want to use the integrated GPU.

                        Furthermore you lose VT-D support for VM GPU pass through on the 4770K because Intel intentionally neuters their CPUs capabilities to create a false segmentation of the market.
                        A10-6800K is richland, marginally better than trinity, which iris pro 5200 igpu annihilates in every benchmark. But yes you can't buy processor with it anywhere because intel will not sell them seperatly(i7-4770R,i5-4570R or mobile i7-HQ:s all bga and maybe upcoming i3-Rs).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                          Not really, the top end iGPU currently on the market is found in the $150 AMD A10-6800K, the Intel i7 4770K runs $350, a $200 increase for a slower GPU and a marginally better CPU for any task where you would want to use the integrated GPU.
                          I was speaking about performance only, obviously. And Trinity, not Richland.

                          I'd also argue that the CPU performance is vastly better, not marginally. Whether that matters to you depends a lot on what kind of tasks you plan to use your machine for.

                          And further, Trinity/Richland are desktop cpus, while this intel 5000 is only available on laptops/mobile. So they aren't exactly direct competitors.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Um, both Trinity and Richland have mobile cpus, and the R Intel desktop cpu has the Iris Pro...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by curaga View Post
                              Um, both Trinity and Richland have mobile cpus, and the R Intel desktop cpu has the Iris Pro...
                              However, the mobile APUs are really slow (TDP constraints).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X