Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Driver For Ivy Bridge Still Catching Up To Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by MartinN View Post
    Typically yes.

    My point is , there's no technical reason why the Linux driver should not be on par w/the Windows one.
    why not. if the OS doesn't have a certain capability that your driver is using, then you have to make it up on your own. in XP, for example, the GPU switching is hacked together by the third party and is much inferior to 7's native implementation.

    Comment


    • #12
      If this were run on W8 it may very well be even worse for linux.
      As I've said before, I recall reading that a new driver had been written for W8.
      Still, not too bad as I imagine the win driver has many optimizations.

      Comment


      • #13
        don't forget that intel has a bigger incentive to make the Windows drivers better because the marketshare is 50 times larger. this may change with android driver unification and steam for linux

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by liam View Post
          If this were run on W8 it may very well be even worse for linux.
          As I've said before, I recall reading that a new driver had been written for W8.
          I don't think so. Win 8 bumped the driver model version #, but I'm pretty sure that was all backported in a system update to win7 so the same drivers run in both now.

          Unless, of course, Michael was running an unpatched version of windows straight from the DVD. Which now that i think of it, he does for linux systems.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            Well what matter are the results and right now with intel driver linux is inferior to windows.
            PERORMANCE WISE...

            We have OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.0 as exclusie though

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I don't think so. Win 8 bumped the driver model version #, but I'm pretty sure that was all backported in a system update to win7 so the same drivers run in both now.

              Unless, of course, Michael was running an unpatched version of windows straight from the DVD. Which now that i think of it, he does for linux systems.
              Seen plenty of "UP TO DATE XYZ" where XYZ was linux distro. Or stock distro BUT with kernel/mesa/drm from git repos. That is up-to-date as one can get..
              (And MS DO NOT back port video driver models. Its exclusive for each new Win... )

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                Seen plenty of "UP TO DATE XYZ" where XYZ was linux distro. Or stock distro BUT with kernel/mesa/drm from git repos. That is up-to-date as one can get..
                (And MS DO NOT back port video driver models. Its exclusive for each new Win... )
                I'm mostly thinking of Fedora tests, where Michael has tested out of the box Fedora even when an updated system would bring in new versions of X, Mesa, kernel, etc.

                That's in cross-distro tests, comparing Fedora, to Ubuntu, to etc... - when he's specifically checking mesa updates, obviously that brings in the new versions directly.

                As for the windows updates - you're correct about wddm 1.2 being win8 exclusive. MS backported some of the new win8 api into win7 with the IE10 prerequisite system update, but that didn't include wddm 1.2. However, that wouldn't be unprecedented - they did backport 1.1 from windows 7 into Vista. I believe that's what i was thinking of.

                Comment

                Working...
                X