Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Linux Thermal Daemon

Phoronix: Intel Releases Linux Thermal Daemon

Intel has announced the release of an open-source Linux Thermal Daemon package for Linux. Intel's Linux Thermal Daemon is for monitoring and controlling platform temperatures...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just what I was looking for, for my ultrabook with only a single fan and an easily blocked vent haha
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

That's interesting. Is it like PowerTop in that it's just developed by Intel, but works fine on AMD platforms as well?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        That's interesting. Is it like PowerTop in that it's just developed by Intel, but works fine on AMD platforms as well?
        It says it will use the Intel specific drivers when available, when it can't use those then it will use the standarized x86 registers and the generic cpufreq infrastructure. Last line of the quoted text in the article.

Comment

The specific driver you mention is already there in 3.9

Michael, i crave a bench against usal ondemand and performance governors
          pretty please?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            It says it will use the Intel specific drivers when available, when it can't use those then it will use the standarized x86 registers and the generic cpufreq infrastructure. Last line of the quoted text in the article.
            It doesn't really tell me anything. "latest cooling and P state drivers developed by Intel" does not necessarily mean Intel-specific. Although I didn't see a P-state listing in PowerTop on my AMD hardware, so I suppose it is Intel-specific? And I also have no clue what what the x86 register use means in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              It doesn't really tell me anything. "latest cooling and P state drivers developed by Intel" does not necessarily mean Intel-specific. Although I didn't see a P-state listing in PowerTop on my AMD hardware, so I suppose it is Intel-specific? And I also have no clue what what the x86 register use means in this context.
              I'm assuming that Intel didn't develop drivers for AMD hardware, not really their style. So, yes, its Intel specific until AMD drivers are upstreamed and the daemon is patched to be aware of them.

The register comment would imply that part of the x86 standard is defining a specific set of CPU registers that say "When this register is this, it means: go to xyz performance state." So somewhere there is a register, lets call it PowerLevel (i know its not) and when its set to 1, thats idle, 2 is low power, 3 is medium, 4 is high, and 5 is turbo. And this daemon can set specific registers to specific values to help control the temperature of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Intel Releases Linux Thermal Daemon

Intel has announced the release of an open-source Linux Thermal Daemon package for Linux. Intel's Linux Thermal Daemon is for monitoring and controlling platform temperatures...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2OTk
                Intel, why are you summoning these daemons?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Intel, why are you summoning these daemons?

Interesting choice of a fire demon as a pun for a daemon that restricts heat.... more apt picture would have been an ice devil

Comment

Quick question: why don't they just patch the current cpufreq subsystem ? Why reinvent the wheel ?

Last question: that daemon runs in user space ? How efficient is that ? do we really a daemon for something that can be done by the kernel ?

Comment

Working...
                    X