Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Might Become The Default

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Might Become The Default

    Phoronix: Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Might Become The Default

    In the discussion about mainlining the new Intel Gallium3D driver for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors, the long-standing i915 Gallium3D driver for older Intel hardware was brought out. It turns out that this driver might replace the classic i915 Intel driver as the new default...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDE

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Might Become The Default

    In the discussion about mainlining the new Intel Gallium3D driver for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors, the long-standing i915 Gallium3D driver for older Intel hardware was brought out. It turns out that this driver might replace the classic i915 Intel driver as the new default...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDE
    If its actually better, I say go for it. Whatever works the best and is the easiest to maintain

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      If its actually better, I say go for it. Whatever works the best and is the easiest to maintain
      I think it has a few more piglit failures, but it's definitely faster and i don't think anyone who's used the 2 drivers wouldn't choose it over the old one.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've switched my wife's laptop from classic to Gallium and back again. The initial switch was because Minecraft didn't run under classic. Eventually we found Gallium to be a little too unstable and by that time, Minecraft was working under classic and it was significantly faster. I'll give Gallium another go but I doubt much has changed since.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          I think it has a few more piglit failures, but it's definitely faster and i don't think anyone who's used the 2 drivers wouldn't choose it over the old one.
          Piglit failures can be worked out, probably just buggy code that needs to be fixed and not a like architecture problem

          Comment


          • #6
            Wait...... use the gallium version for the older unsupported intel cards or all of them? Becuase I give up if its all of them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Wait...... use the gallium version for the older unsupported intel cards or all of them? Becuase I give up if its all of them.
              Use the Gallium driver for everything before Sandy Bridge (I think it was Ironlake -> Sandy Bridge). For sandy Bridge and up, use the official intel classic driver. Hopefully enough work will be done by outside companies that eventually the "official" driver can be used as reference and the gallium driver for the new cards can be made default just so everyones on Gallium

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                Wait...... use the gallium version for the older unsupported intel cards or all of them? Becuase I give up if its all of them.
                Intel like AMD have multiple drivers for their different GENERATIONS of GPU's.

                i915g is for quite old hardware, for which Intel stopped adding new features.


                AMD have r300g, r600g, radeonSI and so on..

                Nouveau have just nouveau but they also have different drivers for different generations of hardware (but they more often use chipset names)

                Comment


                • #9
                  As an owner of one of those chips, I'd just like to add a yes please! .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Use the Gallium driver for everything before Sandy Bridge (I think it was Ironlake -> Sandy Bridge). For sandy Bridge and up, use the official intel classic driver. Hopefully enough work will be done by outside companies that eventually the "official" driver can be used as reference and the gallium driver for the new cards can be made default just so everyones on Gallium
                    Please don't answer if you're not sure. (Maybe being sure is the actual problem)

                    The i915g driver is for Gen3 hardware. Gen4, 5 (Ironlake), 6 (Sandy Bridge), 7 (Ivy Bridge), et al. is i965 and isn't supported by i915{c,g}.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well some games might work better with opengl 2.1 support on older chips. In the case of netbooks it is still too slow in most cases but there are similar solutions are with faster core cpus too, so maybe a good idea.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        as a not so proud owner of a bunch of 'ironlake' and gen4 'pisslake(?)' hardware I have this to say


                        FUCK YOU INTEL.


                        the drivers in windows7 (they also work on 8) are pretty good and allow me to pretty much do what I do without problems:

                        watching big ass mkv's, bluray rips, video editing... pretty much anything 2d is covered and I can also play old games without problems




                        in linux... get this:

                        the drivers are so shitty that they are gonna start using ones made by the community

                        and google


                        BY GOOGLE


                        OK

                        BY A FUCKING SEARCH ENGINE FUCKING GMAIL OPERATING COMPANY

                        and by dudes that just want to have a crack at making a driver

                        r u fucking kidding me intel?


                        how about porting the proprietary drivers from windows and at least giving us a choice OF USING A DECENT FUCKING PROFESSIONAL DRIVER


                        " well how about fuck you and no, the google drivers are good enough so use them"


                        how about fuck you too intel, I will buy a fucking arm laptop just out of spite

                        phoronix: run benchmarks on gen4 and 5 (the only ones that are still relevant) BUT FOCUS ON 2D & VIDEO FFS, as no sane person plays games on these cards, and show everyone just how shitty intel driver is compared to one made by uninterested third parties
                        Last edited by Pallidus; 04-18-2013, 04:02 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                          show everyone just how shitty intel driver is compared to one made by uninterested third parties
                          Made in a Cave with SCRAPS!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Intel's G33 DRI drivers worked rather well on my G31 chipset on Fedora 17 before I went back to Windows. No tearing, no nothing. Only problem is that there's no hardware accel for Flash and HTML5 videos, with the latter slowing down to a complete crawl if the mouse is moved while playing in fullscreen mode (which obviously does not occur in Windows).

                            It will be interesting to see how i915g will perform on the same hardware the next time I put Linux on this computer again. Of course, that assumes that i915g will replace the classic drivers for any intel hardware that is not part of the Core iX series.
                            Last edited by Sonadow; 04-18-2013, 09:28 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What about GMA 945?

                              Classic or Gallium3d?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X