SNA Sandy Bridge Is Quick To Beat UXA Too

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Really? I assumed you could just use the Designer to auto-generate the QML side of things for the UI, and stick in whatever C++ you wanted.
    You can use the designer to make more complex QML apps. The really simple ones though are dead simple to write in text files by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Its optimized for anything. You can have them be really complicated and big for desktop apps, or really minimal for mobile apps.

Its not HARD, youre right. Its just easier in QML. Literally like 10 lines of code.

Qt4 and GTK are HORRIBLY accelerated, very inconsistent cuz of legacy code paths

Javascript is a fine language for really... its also platform agnostic, which is a keypart for QML's work (availability to mobile, on platforms OTHER than the one it was dev'ed on.)

You can use C++ with QML, its just not the preferred language. But you can do. QML's backends are all C++ based, you just dont normally interact with those.
      You can't create complicated desktop apps in QML only as you can't directly use regular C++ classes and functions.
      You need to create glue C++ code to use regular C++ classes in QML. Complicated desktop apps will be horrible mix of QML/Javascript and C++.
      It isn't easier to create desktop applications in QML.
      Javascript is dynamically-typed prototype-based language, which means broken by design.
      You can't avoid Javascript in QML / Qt Quick applications and use C++ only as with Widgets.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Qt4's "hardware acceleration" was pretty infamous for being deceleration, at least on Linux.

Remember all the stuff about how you could force apps to use the raster backend to speed things up? And on Windows, they always used the raster backend. I don't know about OSX.
        qtperf was 6 times with native backend than raster one on my old PC. If raster backend is faster than native one in certain cases, it is caused by bug in Qt, which should be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
          You can't create complicated desktop apps in QML only as you can't directly use regular C++ classes and functions.
          You need to create glue C++ code to use regular C++ classes in QML. Complicated desktop apps will be horrible mix of QML/Javascript and C++.
          It isn't easier to create desktop applications in QML.
          Javascript is dynamically-typed prototype-based language, which means broken by design.
          You can't avoid Javascript in QML / Qt Quick applications and use C++ only as with Widgets.
          Sure you can: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtq...ck-module.html
          The API and programming model is much more like QGraphicsView than QWidget, and no widgets for Qt Quick are provided as part of Qt, but it is all there - available from C++.

EDIT:
          You may also create and manipulate a QML scene from C++: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtq...ml-module.html
          But if you like QWidget better, just use that.
          Last edited by jonnor; 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
            qtperf was 6 times with native backend than raster one on my old PC.
            Correction: qtperf was 6 times faster with native backend than with raster one on my old PC

Comment

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
              Sure you can: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtq...ck-module.html
              The API and programming model is much more like QGraphicsView than QWidget, and no widgets for Qt Quick are provided as part of Qt, but it is all there - available from C++.
              Qt Quick is useless if no widgets are provided and uic can't generate C++ code from XML file created in Qt Designer.

Comment

I'll echo Keith Packard here: "I don't want to write an application in three programming languages."

Logic in C++, binding in JS, defintion in QML. There's two unneeded parts there, no points for spotting which ones.

Comment

Working...
                X