No announcement yet.

OpenGL 3.0 Features For Intel Ironlake Unlikely

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I played HL2 Ep 1 under wine on my Core i3 550 (Gen5), it wasnít damn slow. But it ultimately crashed. Itís too bad Valve and Intel canít support two and a half year old processors*.

*yes, Iím talking about the date I bought it. The release date doesnít matter if they are still selling it long after that.

Comment

Mesa folks will not support OpenGL compatibility profile.

So its either 2.1 with extensions and all those goodies.
      Or 3.x on core profile and no deprecated functionality.

So any app using 3.x renderer will use "modern" parts of api.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        Mesa folks will not support OpenGL compatibility profile.

So its either 2.1 with extensions and all those goodies.
        Or 3.x on core profile and no deprecated functionality.

So any app using 3.x renderer will use "modern" parts of api.
        3.0 is provided with all the backwards compatibility. It's 3.1 and up that are only available via the core profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          And I just love how AMD/Intel started to put more emphasis on "docs are here, code is flos, what do you wait for? CODE!"
          That has been AMD's position all along. We never said we were going to write the open source driver ourselves. The plan as always been to contribute to and aid the development of the community-based open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            Generation before Ironlake has 2.0 under Windows and 2.1 under Linux. The one before that it's 1.5 on Windows and 1.4 on Linux.
            I have an old ultra-portable lying around and its GMA 4000MHD, the generation before Ironlake, reports as OpenGL 2.1 in Windows with 17/23 extension support for OGL3.0 and 2/8 for OGL3.1 using the OpenGL Extension Viewer. Whether you'd actually want to use those newer extensions, either due to performance or bugs, is another matter of course.

For reference, the missing OGL3.0 extensions are: GLSL 1.30, APPLE_flush_buffer_range, EXT_framebuffer_multisample, EXT_gpu_shader4, EXT_texture_array, and EXT_texture_integer. If the GMA 4000MHD can be so close to OGL3.0, you'd think Ironlake would be even closer if not technically fully compatible in hardware.
            Last edited by ltcommander.data; 02-25-2013, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              The plan as always been to contribute to and aid the development of the community-based open source drivers.
              Are therefore saying community may than expect new version of XVBA SDK? It would be great as it would help add features to FFMPEG for other apps to use

Comparing to other libraries one would welcome improvements in the audio area and possibility for hardware decoding of JPEG, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4

PS Would it be possible for open source driver to access those registers as well? AFAIK it is not possible ATM because the docs not being released due to legal concerns of compromising DRM

Comment

GL3 requires at least 4X MSAA to be supported -- it's more like DX10.1 than 10.0.

Ironlake can't do MSAA at all, so the only way you could claim GL3 on it is by spec-weaseling or just blatant lies.
                The best you'll get is 2.1 + a bunch of the 3.x/4.x extensions -- Ironlake can do almost all the rest of the 3.x features, just not multisampling.

Comment

Working...
                X