Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Has 20~30 Full-Time Linux Graphics Developers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by moilami View Post
    Would be nice. But what would be even better would be if game devs would actually learn to code. Now their sucky code does
    definetly not need OpenGL 4.3.
    +1

    It almost makes me cry every time I run Xonotic on almost maxed details while SS3: BFE with everything on low runs barely 25 fps on the same Intel 4000 GPU...

    Comment


    • #17
      AMD bought ATI so they have a graphics company and video/graphics tech. already but still only employ 5 developers compared to Intel's 30?

      How many Nouveau devs are there?

      Comment


      • #18
        Noveau has just one from Red Hat

        Comment


        • #19
          1) AMD head count is a bit unfair, as Michael counted kernel devs employed by Intel, but not those employed by AMD.
          2) Intel have best FLOSS drivers.
          3) Intel did not had good GPU's up until very recently.
          4) Intel do have nice GPU's now, and will have better one soon.
          5) Intel do not share GPU drivers code between Win and Lin (BTW Intel did you checked if you can reuse GLSL compiers?). Win driver is not FLOSS.
          6) For Intel Win is bigger market than Lin for "desktop" GPU's, hence bigger team, and better driver.
          7) For Intel Lin is important market (haven't you read that they want to expand Lin team?)
          8) For Intel Lin in embedded can be nice way to enter that market. More support for Linux is granted.
          9) YOU DO NOT WRITE GOOD GPU DRIVER OVER NIGHT.

          Do not have Intel GPU, but I do like what they do, and they way they do it. And I will probably switch to Intel if/when their hw is able to handle OGL specs on pair with AMD/Nvidia offerings.

          Nice job Intel.

          PS I propose to count Marek as another 5 AMD employes

          Comment


          • #20
            Still waiting for va-api support on my G45... At one time it almost worked, now it's dead, go figure. (If anyone in the know is reading this : what happened there?)
            It's nice that they contribute to the mesa stack, it would be even nicer if they played ball with everyone else, thus being able to share openCL en other code in the future. It paid off for the radeon and nouveau drivers...

            which is THE most complete OpenGL stack at this time
            No it isn't. mesa is far from complete, the binary drivers have more complete stacks than is mesa.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Intel Has 20~30 Full-Time Linux Graphics Developers

              It was revealed today at the Free Open-Source Developers' European Meeting (FOSDEM) that Intel through their Open-Source Technology Center is currently over two dozen full-time graphics driver developers. They're also looking to hiring more developers...

              http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5MTI
              Thank you Intel and God bless your efforts and your next CEO to carry the torch of innovation and generosity.

              Comment


              • #22
                It's also about resources

                It's worth noting that Intel has about ten times the number of employees AMD has, which makes AMD the first in terms of percentage of employees working on open source drivers.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Krysto View Post
                  So how come Intel still won't have the latest version of OpenGL 4.3, when Nvidia and ATI do for many of their cards already - especially when they already have the latest version of DirectX11.1?

                  I'm sorry but I can't take Intel seriously in graphics until they support OpenGL properly.
                  I'm sorry to hear that. In the meanwhile I just continue to enjoy Intel Free Software solutions

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Krysto
                    So how come Intel still won't have the latest version of OpenGL 4.3, when Nvidia and ATI do for many of their cards already - especially when they already have the latest version of DirectX11.1?

                    I'm sorry but I can't take Intel seriously in graphics until they support OpenGL properly.
                    How many games require a version of OpenGL higher than 3.0? I can play Tesseract on nouveau, radeon or intel drivers just fine (it runs with no rendering glitches, though it is slow).

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Clearly not qualified to produce much work, relative to the talent at AMD.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                        How many games require a version of OpenGL higher than 3.0? I can play Tesseract on nouveau, radeon or intel drivers just fine (it runs with no rendering glitches, though it is slow).
                        In three years you'll be hardpressed to find any product < OpenGL ES 3.x for embedded and OpenGL 4.x for consoles/desktops.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Dammit Intel, can you please make some hardware capable of driving the 2560x1600 resolution of my 30" Dell LCD already!?! I have the pre-display-port model, and none of your chipsets thus far will drive that resolution over DVI

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                            In three years you'll be hardpressed to find any product < OpenGL ES 3.x for embedded and OpenGL 4.x for consoles/desktops.
                            Just like DX11 was released in 2009, and still in 2013 the majority of games targets dx9?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                              No it isn't. mesa is far from complete, the binary drivers have more complete stacks than is mesa.
                              Show me the SOURCE CODE of your claim.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                                Clearly not qualified to produce much work, relative to the talent at AMD.
                                Hey, there's a whole Internet out there you can troll! No need to do it on Phoronix.

                                Originally posted by hubick View Post
                                Dammit Intel, can you please make some hardware capable of driving the 2560x1600 resolution of my 30" Dell LCD already!?! I have the pre-display-port model, and none of your chipsets thus far will drive that resolution over DVI
                                Yeah, lack of dual-link DVI is a bit unfortunate for older gen, but basically once DP was released there's no point for them to waste die space (which is pretty important on a CPU package) on dual-link DVI, since if people need to deliver hi-res output to old screens they can do it using an active DP->DVI adapter...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X