Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Still Playing With i830GM/845G Stability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Still Playing With i830GM/845G Stability

    Phoronix: Intel Still Playing With i830GM/845G Stability

    Intel is still working on some minor xf86-video-intel driver changes to address stability issues for the very old i830GM and i845G chipsets. A new Intel X.Org driver update was released on Wednesday to take care of more changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2MjM

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    On this pair of chipsets, the kernel will perform an extra copy of the batchbuffer into reserved memory, which prevents them from randomly dying.
    lol...

    Good thing they are still taking care of these (apparently buggy) cards. I'm definitly taking newer Intel chips into consideration now whenever I'm going to purchase new HW. Which is pretty rare, but still...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      lol...

      Good thing they are still taking care of these (apparently buggy) cards. I'm definitly taking newer Intel chips into consideration now whenever I'm going to purchase new HW. Which is pretty rare, but still...
      New Intel chips are just great. You can even play games like Team Fortress 2 in Linux with them.

      I have AMD and nVidia cards, and there is no way I would buy them instead of Intel graphics, unless I would want maxed graphics in TF2, which is just not worth it.

      Intel is doing it right, and I have become a very happy consumer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by moilami View Post
        New Intel chips are just great. You can even play games like Team Fortress 2 in Linux with them.

        I have AMD and nVidia cards, and there is no way I would buy them instead of Intel graphics, unless I would want maxed graphics in TF2, which is just not worth it.

        Intel is doing it right, and I have become a very happy consumer.
        Kewl, and what about WebGL and friends? Will Chromium and Firefox trust the drivers/cards to do it properly?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
          Kewl, and what about WebGL and friends? Will Chromium and Firefox trust the drivers/cards to do it properly?
          I haven't used Chromium.

          According to Youtube HTML trial page WebM works on Firefox. WebM and h.264 works on Epiphany, which uses Webkit engine, so I guess those should work in Chromium too.


          Edit: It seems WebGL is not supported: http://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/Bl...sAndWhitelists

          Luckily I haven't missed it
          Last edited by moilami; 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by moilami View Post
            I haven't used Chromium.

            According to Youtube HTML trial page WebM works on Firefox. WebM and h.264 works on Epiphany, which uses Webkit engine, so I guess those should work in Chromium too.


            Edit: It seems WebGL is not supported: http://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/Bl...sAndWhitelists

            Luckily I haven't missed it
            I'm suprised, ow well... Maybe that list is outdated. I mean: nouveau is not supported on chromium as well. But mesa is already doing pretty good for wine and UrbanTerror.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by moilami View Post
              I haven't used Chromium.

              According to Youtube HTML trial page WebM works on Firefox. WebM and h.264 works on Epiphany, which uses Webkit engine, so I guess those should work in Chromium too.


              Edit: It seems WebGL is not supported: http://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/Bl...sAndWhitelists

              Luckily I haven't missed it
              Clarification: Chrome blacklists ati/nvidia/intel on Linux, but Firefox 6 and higher only require:
              1) Mesa >= 7.10.3 (or Mesa >= 8.0 for the Nouveau driver)
              2) NVIDIA >= 257.21
              3) any version of FGLRX implementing OpenGL 3.0 or newer (but FGLRX is blacklisted when the Linux kernel version is 2.6.32)

              I can verify that FF current and r600g on a radeon 5400-series and 6850 both work with WebGL

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                Clarification: Chrome blacklists ati/nvidia/intel on Linux, but Firefox 6 and higher only require:
                1) Mesa >= 7.10.3 (or Mesa >= 8.0 for the Nouveau driver)
                2) NVIDIA >= 257.21
                3) any version of FGLRX implementing OpenGL 3.0 or newer (but FGLRX is blacklisted when the Linux kernel version is 2.6.32)

                I can verify that FF current and r600g on a radeon 5400-series and 6850 both work with WebGL
                This is just getting better and better lol.

                Thanks a ton though!

                Comment

                Working...
                X