Intel Developers Remain Unconvinced By Gallium3D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Idk about "Converting" the driver. But Google started an Intel Gallium3D driver (Michael, name for it? You benchmarked it) because they wanted to do an only Gallium based Mesa for the Chromebook. The performance wasn't all that great, nor was the hardware support. If you do Intel graphics, your only choice is Intel's official OSS driver
    There's i915g which is a gallium driver originally written by TG/vmware for i915 hw. This is also the driver google has been working on. Currently there is no gallium driver for newer intel asics.

Comment

Idk about "Converting" the driver. But Google started an Intel Gallium3D driver (Michael, name for it? You benchmarked it) because they wanted to do an only Gallium based Mesa for the Chromebook. The performance wasn't all that great, nor was the hardware support. If you do Intel graphics, your only choice is Intel's official OSS driver
      Yeah, that's not really a fair comparison: i915 class hardware is very old...it has extremely limited fragment shader support, and no vertex shader support. Both drivers could be vastly better than they are...it's just that most of us are focused on more modern (and capable) parts.

The i965g driver never really took off, so there is no Gallium driver for modern Intel hardware. (I believe Jakob was the only one working on it...and there's only so much one person can do!) Even if it still existed and worked, it still probably wouldn't be the Gallium-vs-Classic comparison everyone's hoping for simply due to the sheer amount of time and effort we've spent tuning the classic driver.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

But Google started an Intel Gallium3D driver (Michael, name for it? You benchmarked it) because they wanted to do an only Gallium based Mesa for the Chromebook. The performance wasn't all that great, nor was the hardware support. If you do Intel graphics, your only choice is Intel's official OSS driver
        People report that there are some cases where it is much faster and some where it is slower:
        https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=113603

Comment

Working...
        X