Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Shafting Linux Users With Clover Trail: No Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    that's not quite correct DanL
    It's spot on. You just can't deal with reality.

    when you see "Intel processor with intel integrated graphics" on the store you take it that it's going to run well under linux unlike when you see "amd with radeon hf3rh93"
    No, you don't do that, especially when recent history has proven otherwise (Poulsbo). If you do that, then you're lazy and/or ignorant. Just because you want hardware decisions to be so simple that you can go to a store (where Linux is probably a foreign concept to employees) and buy something based on a shiny sticker and a vague "brand name" concept, doesn't mean that's how it is. IIRC, you made the same argument back in a Poulsbo/Cedarview discussion, and I can kind of see how a non-techie could get swindled. However, there's no excuse this time. If Intel fooled folks once, shame on Intel. If the folks get fooled again...

    Comment


    • #42
      Did I buy one of these new atoms? no. So how did I get fooled?

      What I'm saying is that oh let me see, I had an atom n455 and it had good support under linux, I'm sure all the other atom's had, am I wrong? I remember seeing netbooks with atoms on stores here selling with ubuntu pre installed.

      SO, it's easy to SEE how so many people simply purchased this new atom without thinking twice about it's linux support

      and they got trolled by intel

      http://communities.intel.com/thread/29157


      and people shouldn't really defend intel on this one because intel took a dump all over you people.


      This new atom cedar view is the follow up to 2010's pine view...


      That means you can only run linux well with 2010 tech, cedar view will be the de facto architecture for netbooks/nettops/ipcs etc for 2012/2013

      This means you will not be running linux in an intel netbook this 2 years


      SHAME ON INTEL SHAME SHAME

      SHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMM MMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

      how are the mali gfx not open source? don't they have their drivers on android and ain't android open source?

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        how are the mali gfx not open source? don't they have their drivers on android and ain't android open source?
        how are the Geforce gfx not open source? don't they have their drivers on linux/X and ain't linux/X open source?

        Last edited by Gusar; 09-16-2012, 06:59 AM.

        Comment


        • #44
          dearest troll when I install a linux distro it comes with nouveau drivers and then I have the choice to install proprietary drivers, which I have to download from their site etc etc


          when you install android 4 or whatevers I NEVER once saw people having to install proprietary drivers

          so if android is open source and the drivers are already in there, how are the drivers not open source???

          Comment


          • #45
            I dare you to install a vanilla Android build on your Mali-using phone, and then say it includes open drivers for it.

            All the images are customized by the vendors to include the drivers, just like the OEM Windows disks.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              when I install a linux distro it comes with nouveau drivers and then I have the choice to install proprietary drivers, which I have to download from their site etc etc
              Maybe on your distro. Not on mine.

              Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              when you install android 4 or whatevers I NEVER once saw people having to install proprietary drivers
              You never installed Android then. If you want to install Cyanogenmod or other custom ROM, you *do* need to take all sorts of proprietary drivers (for graphics, RIL, sensors, even wifi) from the original ROM that was on the phone.

              Next time I suggest you inform yourself better before calling someone a troll.

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                You never installed Android then. If you want to install Cyanogenmod or other custom ROM, you *do* need to take all sorts of proprietary drivers (for graphics, RIL, sensors, even wifi) from the original ROM that was on the phone.

                Next time I suggest you inform yourself better before calling someone a troll.
                Hardly any cell phone here without a requirement for proprietary driver for DSP or modem.
                I think certain people would like to spy on you, hence the situation.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  so if android is open source and the drivers are already in there, how are the drivers not open source???
                  Android drivers used in production tend to have an open source kernel driver plus proprietary userspace drivers. There are exceptions (open source stacks for AMD GPUs and for Intel's own GPUs) but I don't think those are shipping in any products today.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                    That explains why M$ is dipping it's toes in the ARM space?
                    So that it can try to put a chokehold on Linux advancing to ARM any further and discouraging makers from using OSS on ARM, but I'm sure that'll fail as many makers using ARM will give a big fat middle finger to M$.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      no actually I don't install drivers since the rom's you use are for that specific model.

                      e.g. when you search for android 4 or whatever for your specific model you see, download, root and then flash cyannogenmod or whatever samsungs2blabla


                      So no I didn't know there were proprietary drivers for it


                      but the proprietary drivers if they work on android they work on linux too, right?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X