Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Rewrites Mode-Setting Graphics Driver Code

Phoronix: Intel Rewrites Mode-Setting Graphics Driver Code

A set of 58 patches have been published against the Intel Linux DRM kernel driver that completely rewrites the mode-setting code for this open-source Linux graphics driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE2Mzc

Intel devs must wear sun glasses while working cause their driver already shines.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Intel devs must wear sun glasses while working cause their driver already shines.
      EPIC line

And it indeed does

Comment

Hopefully this will fix the intermittent mode-set problem I have on my laptop where the screen goes blank on mode-set during boot, and I have to restart a few times to get any display past mode-set.

Comment

Thanks Intel!

When I recently shopped for a new laptop, I only considered models shipping with Intel graphics due to Intel's stellar support of free software. When my friend recently bought his new laptop, he ended up getting an Intel-based system for the same reason.

Thank you Intel for continuing to lead by example. I will happily throw money your way as a result.

Comment

does that mean that below patches are irrelevant?

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/016556.html

Do you guys know if they have been merged to the current linux tree at same point?

Comment

Stupid question

This might be a stupid question, but what is Fastboot?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                This might be a stupid question, but what is Fastboot?
                Daniel was nice enough to give a definition at the end of his blog post :

The hw state readout code prepares (but there are still big pieces missing) for fastboot, i.e. avoiding the inital modeset at boot-up and just taking over the configuration left behind by the bios.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Daniel was nice enough to give a definition at the end of his blog post :
                  Oh, but my BIOS boots in like 80x25 (columns, rows) text-mode which looks fuggly as shit.
                  I want my BIOS to boot in 1900x1200.

Comment

Well, my UEFI boots to something like 1280x960, which is still not quite 1080p that is native to my display...

Comment

Working...
                    X