Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Continues With Mesa Changes For Valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Continues With Mesa Changes For Valve

    Phoronix: Intel Continues With Mesa Changes For Valve

    Intel open-source developers continue to make changes to Mesa at the request of Valve Software's Linux team...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE1NTc

  • #2
    This for radeon, pretty please? AMD's official linux tools are completely useless (fglrx + gdebugger).

    If this continues, I'm going to have to buy an ivy

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by curaga View Post
      This for radeon, pretty please? AMD's official linux tools are completely useless (fglrx + gdebugger).

      If this continues, I'm going to have to buy an ivy
      There was a comment on the Valve blog by someone of the team that said that they have yet to collaborate with the other FOSS driver teams (radeon, Nouveau). Don't know why they haven't done it yet but i really hope they do.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        There was a comment on the Valve blog by someone of the team that said that they have yet to collaborate with the other FOSS driver teams (radeon, Nouveau). Don't know why they haven't done it yet but i really hope they do.
        I personally put them in contact with mupuf of Nouveau.... Corbin Simpson of Radeon too.... Corbin was supposed to be flying out there a few weeks ago for an interview or something but haven't heard back since. Last I heard from mupuf is that they weren't really communicating and then yeah not sure if they're oding anything with Corbin right now.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I personally put them in contact with mupuf of Nouveau.... Corbin Simpson of Radeon too.... Corbin was supposed to be flying out there a few weeks ago for an interview or something but haven't heard back since. Last I heard from mupuf is that they weren't really communicating and then yeah not sure if they're oding anything with Corbin right now.
          Yeah i know they had contact with them. But i thought they were looking to employ those guys and not have them improve the drivers directly. Anyway.

          As for why they haven't done anything more i have no idea. I hope that at some point they will invite the devs to their offices to play around.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I personally put them in contact with mupuf of Nouveau.... Corbin Simpson of Radeon too.... Corbin was supposed to be flying out there a few weeks ago for an interview or something but haven't heard back since. Last I heard from mupuf is that they weren't really communicating and then yeah not sure if they're oding anything with Corbin right now.
            Yep, haven't heard back from them. Let's hope they don't forget us.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MPF View Post
              Yep, haven't heard back from them. Let's hope they don't forget us.
              Hope i am wrong on this but i suspect they don't care much -at least at the moment. They collaborated with the FOSS intel team because there is nothing else for intel. On the ATI and nVidia front they are collaborating with the blob teams.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Hope i am wrong on this but i suspect they don't care much -at least at the moment. They collaborated with the FOSS intel team because there is nothing else for intel. On the ATI and nVidia front they are collaborating with the blob teams.
                I'm sure that's exactly it - I don't know why nobody hasn't come realize that yet. I'm not entirely sure but I think the Source Engine requires opengl 3.2, which the FOSS drivers don't support yet.

                I'm sure in Valve's point of view, they want a customer experience that is complete and consistent. That's why they want proprietary drivers (or drivers that are 99% actively developed by 1 company, like intel's) and why they chose to work with Canonical. The fact that Valve has even attempted cooperating with FOSS drivers or the blob drivers for that matter is pretty commendable. The fact that they're making a linux release at all is just plain awesome.

                For those who are whining that the radeon and noveau drivers arne't getting (as much) attention is just plain aggravating to me. Yes, they need improvement, but don't think that's why valve is ignoring them in the first place? That's like telling a doctor to heal someone with cancer when there's someone with the flu who can actually be healed quickly. I support the efforts of radeon and nouvea and they've made a lot of progress, but valve attempting to fix them is a waste of their time and resources when there's already a functioning and better performing alternative. I personally would prefer steam and the source engine be released within a month on blob drivers than wait a half year or more so they fix up the FOSS.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'm not entirely sure but I think the Source Engine requires opengl 3.2
                  OpenGL 3.0 is enough for Source Engine on OS X.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    OpenGL 3.0 is enough for Source Engine on OS X.
                    well regardless, IIRC, opengl 3.0 is still incomplete for FOSS drivers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      well regardless, IIRC, opengl 3.0 is still incomplete for FOSS drivers.
                      I was under the impression that with Mesa 8.1 OpenGL 3.0 was pretty much done for most vendors? And haven't people have been running Valve games through WINE with these drivers for awhile now? Not necessarily arguing with the gist of your post, but I am just saying.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'd expect Valve to get all their stuff ported first before working on how it works with "optional" (from an outsider's point of view, not mine) drivers.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          At least at Nouveau field, there seems to be ZERO interest in sign any kind of NDA with NVIDIA...Nouveau team seems not capable to reverse engineer some stuff of Nvidia , not until Hell freezes anyway, and they don't want to sign any NDA that could solve thje issue....then again, sign the NDA will tint the FOSS...
                          NVIDIA, OTOH, won't change their position and won't disclose the relevant info w/o an NDA....

                          I really don't see Nouveau go much further than it is...

                          As for playing with Nouveau and WINE....only in very simple games or very powerful PCs....i also have serious doubts about image quality, hell in some games even with the blob is crappy...if theres a performance hit with WINE+NVIDIA it's even worse with WINE+NOUVEAU....

                          Just like i gave up on Windows i also gave up on WINE for gaming...it simply is too much hassle to play games with under performance...WINE is great, but for other things , as for gaming, the best use for it was to allow me finally install UT2004 with a Native Linux Client (it was only way to extract the CABs and then manually install the Linux (patched) files and move everything to /usr/local/games/ut2004 ) , finally can play native UT2004 !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                            I was under the impression that with Mesa 8.1 OpenGL 3.0 was pretty much done for most vendors?
                            The radeon drivers still need MSAA, so they don't support everything for OpenGL 3.0 (almost everything though). I think there were some patches floating about that added MSAA support, but I'm not sure what happened to them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                              they don't want to sign any NDA that could solve thje issue....
                              I'm not 100% sure, but I remember a nouveou dev who told that it wouldn't be the best thing to do but that they would sign a NDA if nvidia would offer that, but nvidia doesn't.
                              then again, sign the NDA will tint the FOSS...
                              He also told that you can write a FOSS driver with information covered by a NDA but that it's hard to do (iirc you aren't even allowed to comment the code).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X