Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Driver Integrates BRW Assembler

Phoronix: Intel Driver Integrates BRW Assembler

The xf86-video-intel driver has picked up thousands of lines of new code today with the integration of a BRW assembler in order to compile shader programs on the fly and to remove inefficiencies and mistakes from current Intel shaders...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0OTc

And that's the way the cookie crumbles, AMD

Comment

One word: Whoa!

Comment

Man, I'm just in awe of the amazing progress Intel is making. Say what you want, their drivers are improving at breakneck speeds by the day! This is awesome!

Comment

...with BRW being an abbreviation for what, exactly?

Comment

Michael doesn't know and in his rush to push out a half finished story didn't bother to find out or for that matter proof read his article

Comment

Originally posted by Zorael View Post
              ...with BRW being an abbreviation for what, exactly?
              "Broadwater"---the codename for the original Gen4 graphics found in the G965 chipset (also called GMA X3000). Broadwater was Intel's first GPU to support a fully programmable shader pipeline. All of the later systems are based on this design. That's also why the 3D driver is called i965.
              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                "Broadwater"---the codename for the original Gen4 graphics found in the G965 chipset (also called GMA X3000). Broadwater was Intel's first GPU to support a fully programmable shader pipeline. All of the later systems are based on this design. That's also why the 3D driver is called i965.
                Thanks for the confirmation. I was scanning the source to try to figure it out, and figured it was an abbreviation of a codename for a prior chipset given the sections which followed this pattern:
                Code:
                if (p->gen >= 70) {
                 //do something
                } else if (p->gen >= 60) {
                 //do something else
                } else {
                 //do something with BRW in the name 
                }
                So, a new assembler for some legacy intel chipsets that helps to work around poorly written shaders and also when using the SNA architecture?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                  Thanks. I was wondering about that too

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Thanks. I was wondering about that too
                    The only other possibility that I had come across was Broadwell, and I figured it was a bit early to have code ready for that one (it's what's coming after Haswell). Also, the code that I was reading didn't seem to agree with that possibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X