Intel's Knights Corner Turns Into The Xeon Phi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by popper View Post
    Veerappan, will the chemical company you now work for be buying some of these knights corner ( they should have kept that name its more memorable than phi) for you to play with and try ?, perhaps you should ask them to then you can have a go at writing some 512bit AVC? SIMD patches for your beta OpenCL code base.... and post results....

and if they do, it might be nice to see you also wrote a few assembly and C patches for x264 to see the checkasm results of a large 1080p upscale to 4k/8k rescale and encode on these too if they get you some boards, and/or put one online and give the x264 dev's remote access to write and run hd and super HD tests for it.

assuming their new many core 512 SIMD is up to scratch for generic use and not just some oddball uni niche and top 500 companies with money to burn for overpriced industrial Co-Processor cards.
    Wait... I work for a chemical company now? Would've been nice if someone told me so that I wouldn't be showing up every day somewhere else.

I don't think I'll have any of these cards to play with any time soon, as I'd have to purchase it using my own money. For now, I'll just keep waiting on CL support for r600g to stabilize (and pitch in where ever I can). If the Knight's Corner/Phi stuff takes off, I'll hope the boards get cheap enough for us mortals to purchase. And well, I honestly don't care much about x264. I like what they're doing, but I'm not going to go out and specifically write code for a patent-encumbered video codec with an uncertain future (e.g. player royalties could start becoming a reality in the next few years).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Wait... I work for a chemical company now? Would've been nice if someone told me so that I wouldn't be showing up every day somewhere else.

I don't think I'll have any of these cards to play with any time soon, as I'd have to purchase it using my own money. For now, I'll just keep waiting on CL support for r600g to stabilize (and pitch in where ever I can). If the Knight's Corner/Phi stuff takes off, I'll hope the boards get cheap enough for us mortals to purchase. And well, I honestly don't care much about x264. I like what they're doing, but I'm not going to go out and specifically write code for a patent-encumbered video codec with an uncertain future (e.g. player royalties could start becoming a reality in the next few years).
      oh i just took your "I've settled into a position with a pharmaceutical research software company. I'll still keep poking around at the VP8/CL code as time allows" as working for a large chemical/pharmaceutical research software company that go through these kinds of Co-processors in bulk for daily use in their molecular modeling etc... oh well , its different if your paying for these things yourself, fair enough.

no problem there will be lots of dev's buying and doing that patching/testing anyway if this 512bit SIMD AVX (not avc OC ) is any good as Ultra High Definition is officially on the landscape now, i just thought i would ask just in case anyway.
      Last edited by popper; 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

It's an interesting architeture, and I know at least a couple people who are pretty stoked about it. I'm not sure how I feel about x86 living on even still, but Intel somehow has made it work.

Comment

This chip won't run all x86 code: no 32-bit mode, no MMX/SSE/SSE2/etc (replaced with wider SIMD units), no CMOV. In particular code that uses intrinsics or assembly routines making use of SSEx will have to be rewritten.

All in all being x86 here doesn't add anything except that it helped Intel porting Linux and their C compiler.

Also people should stop dreaming: being able to efficiently use more than 50 cores is a wet dream given how most existing software can't even efficiently use our 4 core CPU.

So this is an interesting chip, but for HPC and rendering, not for much else.

Comment

Working...
          X