Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel HD 4000 Ivy Bridge Graphics On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Looks like I'm getting an Ivy Bridge

    I was hoping to wait 1 more generation, but my desktop just blew up last night so Ivy Bridge it is.

    With a discrete GPU.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      I was hoping to wait 1 more generation, but my desktop just blew up last night so Ivy Bridge it is.

      With a discrete GPU.
      What died? Not holding a sťance to try and resurrect it?

      Can't wait a few weeks for the AMD Trinity series to drop? may cause Intel to flinch and drop prices for you or may be a more compelling buy over Ivy Bridge.

      Comment


      • #63
        The thing that impresses me here is how good the open-source Intel drivers are, in performance, at least.

        The Llano part is stronger in terms of hardware, so you'd expect the proprietary AMD driver to be able to pull out wins, since presumably that driver is about as optimized as it can get. The HD4000 gives it a decent run however (by which I mean performs at least 50% as fast). In fact, looking at the hardware capabilities, Llano beats the HD4000 by about what you'd expect, given perfect drivers.

        So with Intel we have company whose open graphics drivers are as good as those developed with a proprietary driver model, which is very nice to see.

        (For those complaining that the linux version of Catalyst is crap, in performance terms it generally isn't. Stability is another issue. I'm basing my comments above of the performance of the HD4000 vs Catalyst under *both* linux and Windows.)

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          What died? Not holding a sťance to try and resurrect it?

          Can't wait a few weeks for the AMD Trinity series to drop? may cause Intel to flinch and drop prices for you or may be a more compelling buy over Ivy Bridge.
          My motherboard has a red light on it that i'm pretty sure wasn't there before, so I'm assuming it blew a fuse or something.

          But it could be the power supply, maybe. I don't really have spare parts that i can just swap in anyway, so it's easiest to just get a new machine.

          Comment


          • #65
            Already bought SB laptop, sold my AMD one. Now using Archlinux on it.
            Planned to get new laptop on August. If My primary OS's windows, then trinity. Else, will go to IVB.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              My motherboard has a red light on it that i'm pretty sure wasn't there before, so I'm assuming it blew a fuse or something.

              But it could be the power supply, maybe. I don't really have spare parts that i can just swap in anyway, so it's easiest to just get a new machine.
              Mobo model? Any BIOS beeps? Checked all connections? Checked for blown capacitors? Tried reflowing the board?

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                Mobo model? Any BIOS beeps? Checked all connections? Checked for blown capacitors? Tried reflowing the board?
                It's an MSI 7345 Neo 2.

                Hmm, according to the user manual, the LED's lighting up indicate the CPU is damaged or not installed properly.

                It's a little weird because the power button no longer does a hard reset and some of the fans seem to be spinning up and down at random intervals, so i assumed it was a MB or power issue, but i guess i'll try fiddling around with the CPU a bit. I'm not hopeful though.

                Now i'm going to die of dust inhalation.

                I have run this machine 24x7 for about 4.5 years now, never turning it off. So i did get a fair amount of time out of it.

                Edit: It's the fan inside the power supply unit itself that is spinning up and down, and I've seen both it and the case fans stop spinning completely for short times, so I'm pretty sure it's the power supply that's gone bad. It must not be properly supplying the CPU or some section of the mobo which is what's causing those LED's to light up.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 04-24-2012, 11:11 PM.

                Comment


                • #68
                  It should be easy to use a different PSU to try...

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    It should be easy to use a different PSU to try...
                    Sure, but then i run the risk of wasting $50 and it still doesn't work. And i don't particularly care about extending the life of this machine since it's getting old, so I figure i might as well just buy a new machine now.

                    I'm halfway tempted to wait a few weeks for Trinity to come out to see if it forces Intel to lower prices, but I'm doubting it will actually be a faster CPU and I'm not too worried about the money so I think i'll just go for it now.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Just take the PSU from another pc or is it the one and only desktop in the house...

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                        Sure, but then i run the risk of wasting $50 and it still doesn't work. And i don't particularly care about extending the life of this machine since it's getting old, so I figure i might as well just buy a new machine now.

                        I'm halfway tempted to wait a few weeks for Trinity to come out to see if it forces Intel to lower prices, but I'm doubting it will actually be a faster CPU and I'm not too worried about the money so I think i'll just go for it now.
                        There aren't any shops around? Theres a few here that will let me tinker for free, though the old saying goes, you break it you bought it.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                          In windows, the Llano chips seem to usually beat the Intel ones fairly easily in graphics workloads, but it seems either the Intel Linux drivers are much better than the Intel Windows drivers (very possible), or the Catalyst drivers in Linux are slower than in Windows.

                          They are pretty close in the mobile segment from what I have seen so far. Desktop is another story, there is a much bigger gap. Some reviews says 40% and some other 60%.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Kano View Post
                            Just take the PSU from another pc or is it the one and only desktop in the house...
                            Why can't you just get it through your damned head that he's looking for an excuse to upgrade?!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                              Why can't you just get it through your damned head that he's looking for an excuse to upgrade?!

                              Because I have tools and so can you!

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by baffledmollusc View Post
                                The thing that impresses me here is how good the open-source Intel drivers are, in performance, at least.
                                Thanks! Many people worked really hard on it for many months, both within Intel and in the open-source community, to get to this point. That is the power of open-source!

                                And also, speaking about performance, just wait a few months for Kernel 3.4 and 3.5, each should come with a very nicely looking set of performance-related patches for both Sandy and Ivy Bridge.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X