No announcement yet.

VA-API Video Acceleration On Intel Medfield

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA-API Video Acceleration On Intel Medfield

Phoronix: VA-API Video Acceleration On Intel Medfield

It turns out that Intel's recently-launched Medfield SoC for tablets and smart-phones will support VA-API for video acceleration...

Nobody cares of vaapi if the driver support will be like the closed source crap named poulsbo.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

If i would have got the hw then vaapi would be certainly one of the first things i would test - especially if it works with xbmc. So if somebody wants to send me a sample...

Well, we don't get it all, but modesetting + simple 2d accell + video decoding is a very interesting combo. Even if you don't go all-out XBMC, something that lools like Ubuntu TV seems feasible with software-rendered 2d animations and video.

ubuntu tv, well it seems they copied the movie scrapers from xbmc and wrote a new gui around it. there are many things that could go wrong in a new media player so i doubt that u tv will be stable enough soon.

Hoping for a fully open-source video stack. If we get that, there's hope that we can run a full-blown Linux distro like meego/mer on the Lenovo k800 (Provided that all the sensors and the GSM modem are open, too)

I would recommend any linux users stay away from medfield anyway, only get a machine with real intel graphics! I forsee that even if this might be improved over paulsbo but still a huge mess driver wise. Nvidia is the only proprietary linux driver I've used that isn't a broken mess.