No announcement yet.

Intel Wants YOUR Linux Questions, Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also like to extend my gratitude to the Intel OSTC for their Linux graphics support, I'm very happy that the official driver is open source, as opposed to the competition.

My main gripe with the driver is what Scorpi said: video playback tearing using Xv with Sandy Bridge. I have a 1920x1080 laptop display, running kernel 3.2, mesa 7.11.2 and the 2.17.0 version of the driver, and it is very annoying to see tearing in full screen video.

While not that important, as darkbasic said, video decoding with libva 1.0.15 uses more CPU than without! It's a bit sad having the silicon to do the decoding, yet it being basically useless.

Thanks for listening to your users!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      It must be a myth that fglrx+intel switching really works. I can not confirm this.
      I can't test myself, as i said before for now i prefer to buy a computer with just one GC which is known to work, but i have some user confirming it works (see here http://bugs.sabayon.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2210 ). It is still suboptimal of course couse an Xorg restart is needed, but if GPU hotplugging will become reality i strongly hope this kind of setup (intel IGP with open source driver + AMD/NVIDIA GC with proprietary driver) can do the switch at runtime.

From a personal point of view i'm not intrested in this kind of switching, i don't think it is a win. You spend more money (you buy 2 GC), you spend more power (you have two GC powered on, even if one is in a very low power state it still drains power), but of course i might be wrong. I have no problem buying a pc with hybrid graphics, but it must work in the way i said before on linux. I use linux for work and for my personal use as my main OS. If the hardware doesn't work or just half works it is useless or at least wasted money in point of view. I'm happy seeing AMD working on this, at least they are trying. I hear you saying "buy a pc with just an intel IGP", and i do for work. But for personal use i fell limited with intel only couse the power is a bit low. I really hope intel will reach the power of, let's say, the radeon HD 6550D (the one in the A8 AMD processors).

Thank you for your Open Source / free software work intel

Comment

Originally posted by moriarty View Post
        While not that important, as darkbasic said, video decoding with libva 1.0.15 uses more CPU than without!
        I haven't said that, cpu usage is VERY low while decoding through va-api (~3%). Unfortunately the performance with swapbufferswait on is lower than with my U9400, while with swapbufferswait off it is approximately the same (means ---> still useless).

Also, with SNA it is even slower: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39261#c23
        (I know, I should open another bug )
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

WebGL performance and OpenCL support

I Have Ubuntu 11.10 64bits and Windows 7 64bits on this Intel Core I5 2310, with SandyBridge HD 2000. Testing this experiment on Ubuntu gives 8~9 FPS (visible slow) while with Windows gives about 35~45 FPS (fast), both with Firefox 9.0.1.

Others webGL content gives similar performance disparity. And that experiment doesn't even work!

Except those problems, I have no complaints about Sandy Bridge graphics on Linux, everything works good enough and stable. So, thanks for that.

Will SandyBridge graphics receive performance/support improvements for WegGL? There will be OpenCL support?

Comment

Hi Intel GFX Team!

First of all:

Thanks for the driver. 2D is pretty fast, 3D works good enough for Gnome Shell (or compiz), Suspend works.

I don't have any questions, but a wish list:

a) Keep it crash-free, stable, supporting things like suspend
            b) More 3D performance (I understand that my gm965 HW is pretty limited, but at a point in time I'll update to Ivy-bridge or its successor)
            c) Hybrid gfx support might be nice (at least until the intel mobile HW is ready to output > 80 fps @ 1600x900 in nexuiz)
            d) maybe think of using standards like VDPAU, gallium?

The list is not in alphabetic order.

Comment

Hope mesa 8.0 quickly stable for good basic sandy bridge support

I tested several 3d applications on Mesa 7.11.0, 7.11.2 and frequently updated git mesa, since I have an Intel core i7 2600K (not oveclocked, I hoped HD3000 will be powerfull enough to not need PCI graphics card). I use ubuntu studio 11.10 as main system.

* 7.11.0 was really unstable and manage really few features.
              * 7.11.2 is far more stable but still manage really few features.
              * Mesa git from xorg-edgers ppa (actually) is not too stable (some applications still crashs, like Blender at the first steps of usage), and other like some tests with phoronix suite, crash partially display (desktop become really slow and buggy, all 3d apllication then segfault) but support more features, WebGL is globally well managed on Firefox (doesn't works on Chromium 15). I have good hope that everything will be debugged for Mesa 8.0 stable (few weeks ago, xv video driver didn't worked at all, but now evrything works and I believe changes improved in (3d) applications video support a lot) .

So looking at applications :
              * Blender works well en 7.11.2, but crash after few steps (add a cube + try to move it) on git version.
              * WebGL (but maps.google that crash graphics card) works pretty well, I really enjoy Nokia 3d map on this architecture, that's really wonderfull and far better than any google maps applications. Most of Webgl test worked well, only google maps3d crashed driver state as far I know.
              * Flight gear flight simulator (git version) is very fast on 7.11.2, everything is well displayed, but advanced renderings are not managed at all. On mesa git, it become really slow (even with lower shader level on Mesa git). There is a big issue with 2d panels (get less than 1 fps when they are displayed on Mesa git, 5fps when only some OSD text is displayed, 13 to 20 fps depending on scene complexity when only 3d objets are displayed), lot of glitchs anyway (some faces missing on plane, large square artifacts on ground colors).
              * several Phoronix suite test didn't worked at all with 7.11. Now, more tests work, some that worked perfectly with git version 1 or 2 month ago, crash on recent one, like lightsmark benchmark (works again perfectly today, from 10 to 45fps depending on tests). unigine-heaven-1.3.1, where only loading page worked 2 month ago, now crash before. unigine-sanctuary-1.5.1 is a little better, everything was white some gray object was displayed, now there are some colors, but still seem buggy.

Most tested games (I tried warzone2100, supertuxkart (some levels a little slower), minetest, megaglest, Torcs (artifacts on textures with transparent mask like trees on 7.11.0 and some z sort bugs, pefect and at 60fps on git), 0ad, some console game emulator depending on options, some fps) worked perfectly with both 7.11.2 and git version and are very fast. There was big crashing problems with 7.11.0 version.

Few games hits on Wine (1.3.36 via ppa, all are tested with downloaded official demos) :
              * Starcraft 2 (demo), didn't work at all on 7.11, only some object was displayed 1 month ago. But now everything works, but very slow (but usable), even on lowest graphics mode (crash with other modes), this application still crash after 2 levels.
              * Crysis 1 demo never worked, actually, on git version, presentation video works, but everything freeze at the moment the game itself start.
              * Crysis 2 demo, game menues worked about 1 and half ago on git, but was really really too slow. Now a magenta screen is displayed at loading time.

Hope this will give information on user and Intel/Mesa dev to know where to look at for debugging and improvement purpose.

Many thanks to Intel for your efforts to support free operating systems, and for Mesa, Linux and Xorg developpers and Phoronix for their work.
              Last edited by Popolon; 13 January 2012, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Intel Linux

Hi Linux Dev team,

Thank you very much for great Linux OpenGL support for Intel Graphics.

2D is super fast and 3D needs a bit work for performance.

My question is: will we get GLSL performance improvement in the next Mesa releasse for Intel GMA 4500 series graphics.

Most games native and Windows via WINE at the moment runs fine with 7.11.2 but the performance is not adequate to actually play the games.

For at least GMA 4500 we do not need more features rather than bug fixes of existing features and performance optimizations.

One more question: will GMA 4500 have OpenGL 3 up support?

My youtube channel for GMA 4500 linux gaming: http://www.youtube.com/user/imamdxl

Best Regards.
                Emam

Comment

Quick Sync

Will you ever support Quick Sync on Linux?

Comment

I bought an Clarkdale (I530) for my HTPC/Server-System after looking on the Intel homepage. For some weird reason it turned out VC-1 hardware accelerated decoding is only available on Windows - I am still waiting for a Linux patch, but since there was no response in the intel graphic developer forums, I decided to buy a cheap Nvidia board which is capable of decoding it as it should be with the CPU. The drawback is the higher power consumtion, so I would like to have improved support for older CPUs, too - not always just the new stuff!

Comment

Fully open GPGPU, Decode & transcode support.

What I'd really like to see is a fully open platform for GPU compute & open support for vide decode & transcode acceleration on future GPU offerings.

Comment

Working...
                      X