Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Community Beats AMD To New Radeon Audio Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Community Beats AMD To New Radeon Audio Code

    Phoronix: Community Beats AMD To New Radeon Audio Code

    It was just yesterday that I was writing about AMD still not having any new HDMI audio support code available to the public for the Radeon HD 5000 series and newer. The hold-up on this HDMI audio code for the open-source Radeon driver has been due to the patches failing to clear AMD's legal review multiple times. Well, leave it up the community, and now this morning there's some Evergreen patches for this support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyMzA

  • #2
    Finally...

    This is AWESOME news.
    I've waited so long to finally see this. Thank you so much.

    Looking forward to see this code gets pulled into the kernel sources.

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't be too enthusiatic though. It's the same code as previous cards, so stereo-only.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Xavier View Post
        Don't be too enthusiatic though. It's the same code as previous cards, so stereo-only.
        Are you sure that the hardware supports PCM 7.1 or PCM 5.1 output over HDMI? My ATI 5650m only supports stereo output. On Windows, when 5.1 surround is selected, my receiver shows that the stream switched from PCM to DTS, so compression is needed for surround sound output. I achieved something similar in Linux by using the alsa a52 plugin.

        Comment


        • #5
          What? don't get enthusiastic :P though its not the best the card can do.. its better than no sound and twice as good as mono!

          Comment


          • #6
            Huh

            The first patch was 35 lines of new code and introduces a few new registers while the second patch was just a few lines of code.
            I looked and the patches basically came down to knowing about 10 magic numbers.

            Really, AMD, you couldn't release 10 numbers?

            Oh well, good work by the community here.


            Just for fun, here they are:
            0x5b0
            0x5b4
            0x5bc
            0x5e78
            0x00000071
            0x5ac
            0x01
            0x77
            0x7c30
            0x7d20
            0x30
            0x1000

            Hope i don't get sued.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 12-05-2011, 01:22 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
              Are you sure that the hardware supports PCM 7.1 or PCM 5.1 output over HDMI? My ATI 5650m only supports stereo output. On Windows, when 5.1 surround is selected, my receiver shows that the stream switched from PCM to DTS, so compression is needed for surround sound output. I achieved something similar in Linux by using the alsa a52 plugin.
              I didn't know that. I looked at the specs and saw 5.1 was supoprted, I thought it was through native HDMI channels.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hope i don't get sued.
                AMD won't be able to sue you.
                Their problem is that they might lose their HDCP license if information sufficient to subvert it gets published.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Really funny, when the complete hdcp encryption key is already known. hdcp is completely useless.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Really funny, when the complete hdcp encryption key is already known. hdcp is completely useless.
                    And the Hardware for Realtime decode coast under 200$

                    German news: http://www.golem.de/1111/87988.html
                    http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...z-1384461.html

                    English http://www.h-online.com/security/new...n-1384543.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Xavier View Post
                      I didn't know that. I looked at the specs and saw 5.1 was supoprted, I thought it was through native HDMI channels.
                      That's what I thought at first too. The specs for my card said that 5.1 was supported, but did not mention if it was DTS/AC3/PCM, etc. I spent so much time trying to get 5.1 PCM to work before I found out that the card didn't even support it and Windows compressed the stream to work around that

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cladisch View Post
                        AMD won't be able to sue you.
                        Their problem is that they might lose their HDCP license if information sufficient to subvert it gets published.
                        I hardly see that as a problem! In fact, if there's anything more the community can do to help move this along, that would be even better!

                        Anyone want to design a shirt with the HDCP crypto key and some compressed C code to bypass the content protection mechanism?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kano View Post
                          Really funny, when the complete hdcp encryption key is already known. hdcp is completely useless.
                          They like to live in never never land where their DRM schemes are never never busted wide open. Parts of these organized crime operations noticed that no matter how tough their DRM is, someone will always be better than them and break it, so they started buying laws to make DRM, no matter how frail and easy to break, illegal to break. That's why Apple goes after people in court over making idevices work better.

                          It's a shame that AMD has to live in never never land with these people.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X