No announcement yet.

Intel Talks About Their GPU Drivers, Wayland, Etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess the question is what benefit would come from such an announcement ? I don't think any of the driver developers are particularly troubled by Intel staying with the classic HW driver API for now since Mesa supports both classic HW driver and Gallium3D HW driver APIs pretty painlessly.

I don't think there is much being "lost" by the use of different APIs at this point. A year from now that might not be the case, as other state trackers start to mature, but by then I think everyone should be in better shape to discuss whether IRs (and hence driver APIs) can be standardized for both compute and graphics.

We have had a number of internal discussions about IR options; we certainly aren't ready to say "hey we should all standardize on XYZ". We were able to build a consensus on what we we should try first, but that's about it. In other words, I don't believe that any of the driver teams know what they would ask the other driver teams to standardize on even if they *could* wave a magic wand and have everyone agree immediately.
    Last edited by bridgman; 12-04-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X