Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

    Phoronix: Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

    The Intel "i915" Gallium3D driver continues to advance thanks to love from Google. A new Intel employee is now even contributing to this unofficial driver too...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTk4Mg

  • #2
    Who would have thought that my antique Intel graphics card would be able to see the light of gallium sometime.

    Thank god for almost all atom platform Netbooks having the same graphics chip as my Laptop.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ragas View Post
      Who would have thought that my antique Intel graphics card would be able to see the light of gallium sometime.

      Thank god for almost all atom platform Netbooks having the same graphics chip as my Laptop.
      They are probably using the existing Mesa driver as a guide. If there had been no Mesa driver, this would not have happened.

      Comment


      • #4
        Question

        Which chipsets does this support?

        Does it go back to the 855 series like the mesa i915 does? I mean before Intel scrapped their support and instead gave us a dumb framebuffer only driver?

        My old (but working) laptop is stuck with fbdev or svga drivers unless this gallium driver could potentially support that hardware.

        Comment


        • #5
          Does it mean support for OpenGL 2.0 on GMA 900 and 950 with CPU based vertex shaders as on windows?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by hechacker1 View Post
            Which chipsets does this support?

            Does it go back to the 855 series like the mesa i915 does? I mean before Intel scrapped their support and instead gave us a dumb framebuffer only driver?

            My old (but working) laptop is stuck with fbdev or svga drivers unless this gallium driver could potentially support that hardware.
            Same here, I've got several friends and relatives running refurbs with i845 era chips. Recent developments with respect to "old" GPU hardware leaves the situation rather grim for these people who's machines otherwise meet their needs.

            And no, they almost none of them have the cash to spare on an old R300-R500 compatible AGP or PCI card.

            Basically they where all dumpster dives that where intended to run till I could no longer find parts to keep them running and unfortunately, newer hardware seems to be pretty rare with this down economy, mostly stuff with blown or glitchy Nvidia SATA hardware, which makes the mobos pretty useless.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kacperpl1 View Post
              Does it mean support for OpenGL 2.0 on GMA 900 and 950 with CPU based vertex shaders as on windows?
              Yes. The vertex shaders are compiled with LLVM so they're pretty fast.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hechacker1 View Post
                Which chipsets does this support?

                Does it go back to the 855 series like the mesa i915 does? I mean before Intel scrapped their support and instead gave us a dumb framebuffer only driver?

                My old (but working) laptop is stuck with fbdev or svga drivers unless this gallium driver could potentially support that hardware.
                It supports the i915 family, that is GMA 900, GMA 950, GMA 3000, GMA 3100, GMA 3150. There is no support for pre-i915, that is no support for i855 or i830.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Did not Fedora 14 not have the Intel Linux Driver.

                  I am not a Linux expert, just a keen user. I recall that Fedora14 on my dual core Intel motherboard with the I915 driver worked in 3D. That allowed compiz, and all the emerald stuff that required a 3D driver to run quite well on my system.

                  Fedora 15, has no driver support for the i915 motherboard driver. My choices are simple. Live without 3D, hope to find a driver that works, or install a video card from ati / amd or from nvidea.

                  If there is a linux driver for the intel, please let me know where to download it.

                  Thanks in advance

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Intel graphics card would be able to see the light of gallium sometime.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X